Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activities on the Ren. Private Island

Question Activities on the Ren. Private Island

Hello,

My fiance and I will be staying at the Renaissance Ocean Suites on our honeymoon in September. Naturally, I've been doing quite a bit of reading (and Search-buttoning! ) on this and other sites to prepare, but haven't been able to find a lot of info regarding the activities available on the Private Island.

I'll list my specific questions, but please don't hesitate to share any and all details/experiences you have!

• What is the additional cost associated with the activities like tennis, volleyball? How about snorkelling/scuba?
    • Do kayaking, snorkeling and scuba require a reservation or are they on a first-come basis?
    • Are snorkeling/scuba more of an 'equipment rental only' thing, or are they a guided excursion?
    • How does snorkeling/scuba on the private island compare to other places in Aruba? Is the private island sufficient for a couple of novices?

If it's easier for me to just call the hotel for the particulars regarding price and/or availability, that's fine, but I'd still love to hear your opinions/stories!

Thanks,

sleepy
    "The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

Ren island

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyEDB View Post
    Hello,

What is the additional cost associated with the activities like tennis, volleyball?none BRING YOUR OWN RACKET. VOLLEYBALL IS ALL SET UP, USE AS YOU LIKE
    How about snorkelling/scuba? YES, THEY CHARGE, BUT WE'VE NEVER DONE IT
    • Do kayaking, snorkeling and scuba require a reservation or are they on a first-come basis? bELIEVE ME, THERE'S NO "RUSH" ON THE KAYAKING
    • Are snorkeling/scuba more of an 'equipment rental only' thing, or are they a guided excursion? RED SAIL SPORTS IN LOCATED ON PRIVATE ISLAND, YOU MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH THEM WHILE THERE
    • How does snorkeling/scuba on the private island compare to other places in Aruba? Is the private island sufficient for a couple of novices?

If it's easier for me to just call the hotel for the particulars regarding price and/or availability, that's fine, but I'd still love to hear your opinions/stories!

Thanks,

sleepy
    wE FEEL WE ARE MORE OR LESS EXPERTS CONCERNING THE rENN. AS WE OWN THERE...ASK AWAY. wE'VE BEEN GOING FOR 13 YEARS.

Are snorkeling/scuba more of an 'equipment rental only' thing, or are they a guided excursion?
    So Cindy, do they rent snorkel gear and if one wants, they can go off on their own and snorkel around the rocks?

I know you bring your own, but what about floats? Does Red Sail rent them as well?

Aruba since 1979
    i respectfully disagree with you jeff

last time i was at ren island there were some folks that were having quite an enjoyable time

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    snorkeling on the private island is a total waste of time. Baby beach was good in one section. and catalina beach? Think thats the name was good also.

Aruba since 1979
    red sail rents the floats

andrea

Well judging by your avatar why are you looking for activities?

Jeff - you must have stayed in the cove then because if you went on the other side of the rocks you would have seen a world of difference plus there is a sunken plane out there that a lot of snorkel and dive boats frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by arubamark View Post

Jeff - you must have stayed in the cove then because if you went on the other side of the rocks you would have seen a world of difference plus there is a sunken plane out there that a lot of snorkel and dive boats frequent.
    Agree with Mark.....however, that area is for serious snorkelers only. Exercise caution.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Exclamation

Whoa...7 replies! I could've sworn I had that 'instant notification' turned on...

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    wE FEEL WE ARE MORE OR LESS EXPERTS CONCERNING THE rENN. AS WE OWN THERE...ASK AWAY. wE'VE BEEN GOING FOR 13 YEARS.
    Thanks! I appreciate your answers in this thread, and I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, so I'll remember your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    red sail rents the floats
    That's good to know...thanks!

Well judging by your avatar why are you looking for activities?
    Ha, good point, but I'll be doing my best to combat my sleepy tendencies during our time in Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    Agree with Mark.....however, that area is for serious snorkelers only. Exercise caution.
    Interesting...I guess I didn't know there were varying levels of snorkeling. What makes this area advanced? Choppy water/current?

Thanks again to everyone!

sleepy
    Last edited by sleepyEDB; 07-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    "The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Snorkeling is excellent on Renaissance Island around the rocks near the opening (and better on the family side of the island). When you go through the rocks to the other side, there is more surf, undertoe, etc. and the water gets somewhat deeper. I am an average swimmer and have enjoyed snorkeling outside the rock cove on many occasions. Use common sense and try to go out when the surf is relatively calm and always bring a buddy. Renting snorkel gear is about $10/day although we usually bring our own. You can rent a float for $5-10 for the day.

Tennis courts are free although there is a charge for racquet rentals. Keep in mind it is quite windy on the island.

Most of the water sports on the private island are rentals of equipment rather than excursions. If you want a guided trip, I would suggest signing up for one at the hotel conceirge and you will be picked up at the hotel.

Have fun!
    See you in Aruba!!!
    Next Aruba trip in

Sleepy, Rob makes a great point. Inside the cove it is very easy to snorkel but not worth while in my opinion. Once you go on the other side there can be some current and chop. I would check the local tide tabels at the red sail hut on the island and swim out there 20 minutes before the slack tide that way you get a full 45-55 minutes of slack water. Just don't wonder to far in case the current picks up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast