Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone have any experience snorkeling at Baby Beach?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Boca Catalina Beach, Light house
    Posts
    32
    Yes, We went out past the first set of ropes. There is another set of ropes another 30ft or so farther out and that is where the current gets strong.

  2. #12
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,929
    ck1 see the first post of the signage on this thread below..............
    i do not think that there are any signs "in the water"
    we have not been to baby beach in 2 years, maybe someone who is going to be there soon can post a couple of photos of the roped off area and the signage
    Baby beach signage


    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I was just thinking it would be good to block off the dangerous area, I'm glad it's roped off now. Are there also signs like "Do not swim beyond this point"?

    As tempting as it might be, I personally have a LOT of respect of Mother Nature. It's at the tip of the island and the currents can be so strong (from what I heard and read) that even experienced swimmers who grew up in Aruba know the dangers and avoid it.

  3. #13
    CK1
    CK1 is offline
    Senior Member CK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ck1 see the first post of the signage on this thread below..............
    i do not think that there are any signs "in the water"
    we have not been to baby beach in 2 years, maybe someone who is going to be there soon can post a couple of photos of the roped off area and the signage
    Baby beach signage
    Andrea, I saw the signage in the first post. It looks to me that it's placed in an area where people arrive at Baby Beach.

    I think it's great that there are ropes now. But I thought it would be a good idea to place an addition sign "No swimming beyond this point" as it seems some people are still not aware of the dangers.

  4. #14
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,929
    agree G.

    i wonder why there are 2 sets of lifelines (ropes to mark off an area)?
    i wonder if the first lifeline is to distinguish that the area gets deeper and the second lifeline is situated at the opening of the seawall where swimming/snorkeling is very dangerous/prohibited?

    i know the area where my husband and i snorkel at baby beach is the area on the inside of the sea wall, but very close to the opening. i am wonderng if this is the area within the bounds of the first lifeline?

    prior to the damage from the IVAN storm (in 2004?) i think it was nearly impossible to go thru the opening as there was not much of an opening....then the backlash of ivan caused great geographical change to baby beach and its seawall

    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Andrea, I saw the signage in the first post. It looks to me that it's placed in an area where people arrive at Baby Beach.

    I think it's great that there are ropes now. But I thought it would be a good idea to place an addition sign "No swimming beyond this point" as it seems some people are still not aware of the dangers.

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Boca Catalina Beach, Light house
    Posts
    32
    Andrea, I do believe it is to mark of the area. There were no signs that i had seen except for the one that you have already posted about. Where the first set of line is it does get deeper 10ft or so. Near the second set of lines the current gets very strong and the water gets cold (water from the north side mixing in). There are some spots near the second set of ropes that i could touch bottom but could barley stand beacuse the current was moving quick. I wish now i would have taken pics!! Sorry!!

  6. #16
    CK1
    CK1 is offline
    Senior Member CK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Posts
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    agree G.

    i wonder why there are 2 sets of lifelines (ropes to mark off an area)?
    i wonder if the first lifeline is to distinguish that the area gets deeper and the second lifeline is situated at the opening of the seawall where swimming/snorkeling is very dangerous/prohibited?

    i know the area where my husband and i snorkel at baby beach is the area on the inside of the sea wall, but very close to the opening. i am wonderng if this is the area within the bounds of the first lifeline?

    prior to the damage from the IVAN storm (in 2004?) i think it was nearly impossible to go thru the opening as there was not much of an opening....then the backlash of ivan caused great geographical change to baby beach and its seawall
    I think you are right with your assumption about the two ropes, that after the first rope the water gets deeper and the currents stronger and after the second rope, it gets really dangerous where the currents can pull out someone quickly into the open ocean.

    Maybe there should even be two signs, one at each rope and explaining what is going on.

    I think it can be so misleading as Baby Beach can be so safe to swim that even babies can be there ~ as long as staying in the safe, shallow water. It can be very safe to snorkel, even for beginners, as long as they stay in the safe part of the bowl.

    But then, it can get tricky, rough with strong currents if someone crosses over to the area beyond the ropes.

    I found a post where someone mentioned the ropes, it's dated Dec 2012. At the same time this poster mentions that beyond the rope is more to see, better snorkeling. It seems to me, some people will ignore the rope. I don't know if they are aware of the risks. That's why I suggested to put up additional warning signs. Maybe people tend to take bigger risks while on vacation. But maybe it can also safe a life. Here is the post:

    Clean and roped off area for swimming. Currents can be strong beyond the ropes but there is good snorkeling there. Lots of colorful fish and coral to see beyond the ropes. Bring some bread to attract the fish.


    Visited December 2012

    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...las_Aruba.html


    If you read the other comments, they are similar.

  7. #17
    Member wannagoback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    98
    Stayed to the left between the breakers and saw two octopi!

  8. #18
    Senior Member Chadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arikok Antilla Natural pool
    Posts
    1,441
    We usually walk a couple hundred yards east and drift with the current between the two breakwaters. My wife isn't the strongest swimmer, so we never go beyond the second breakwater.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Love the entire island!
    Posts
    20
    I've snorkeled at Baby Beach many times over the years. But I don't think I'll ever go again! It is extremely dangerous. I was with 2 of my cousins. We were feeding the fish, and before you know it, the current had begun to take us out! It happened within mere seconds. Luckily I wrapped my legs around a rock under the water to hold onto. I managed to grab my cousin who had drifted out farther than me. The current was incredibly strong. It was luck -- and strength and determination -- that we didn't get drawn out farther and drown. Baby Beach is a misnomer. There should definitely be more signs posted.

  10. #20
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,929
    scary!
    were you within the bowl or in between the opening or beyond the opening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubatanlee View Post
    I've snorkeled at Baby Beach many times over the years. But I don't think I'll ever go again! It is extremely dangerous. I was with 2 of my cousins. We were feeding the fish, and before you know it, the current had begun to take us out! It happened within mere seconds. Luckily I wrapped my legs around a rock under the water to hold onto. I managed to grab my cousin who had drifted out farther than me. The current was incredibly strong. It was luck -- and strength and determination -- that we didn't get drawn out farther and drown. Baby Beach is a misnomer. There should definitely be more signs posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO