Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Aruba Mountains-Hooiberg

  1. #1
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,471

    Aruba Mountains-Hooiberg

    Hey has anybody climb the 560 steps up Hooiberg in Aruba? I have a friend in Aruba who offered to take me this month. I'm not in shape to go all the way up but I figure I will count the steps, make an effort and each trip set a goal to go higher until I can make it to the top.

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,121
    Go early in the day before it gets too hot. We did it in 1998 or thereabouts.
    It was a chore then.
    I’d much prefer the beach instead.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,763
    We climb it about every other trip to burn a few Bright calories. It's an easy climb - easy to take breaks on the way up, too, and enjoy the view. Definitely go early in the morning before it gets hot and take water. Take your time and enjoy your surroundings.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  4. #4
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,121
    some interesting reading Ace! http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/trails/hooiberg.html


    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Hey has anybody climb the 560 steps up Hooiberg in Aruba? I have a friend in Aruba who offered to take me this month. I'm not in shape to go all the way up but I figure I will count the steps, make an effort and each trip set a goal to go higher until I can make it to the top.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,471
    My friend said she will pick me up at 6:30am. It should be an interesting 5 night solo trip. I have the blue melody booked for day two, this hike and maybe I will bring along my snorkel equip and go to Arashi or the next beach to go snorkeling.

  6. #6
    Senior Member kemperato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Palm Beach, The Beach Bar, Arashi Beach
    Posts
    248
    We climbed it 2 years ago. Going up wasn’t too bad. It was coming down that was very scary. Those steps are very steep and narrow in some portions with no handrail. There are sections to stop and rest along the way. As you do so, I’d recommend taking a look back down to judge how comfortable you would be continuing upward. Maybe just go up as far as the handrail and wider steps go which is probably halfway. I like your plan of counting the steps and adding a few each trip. Enjoy!

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,121
    i agree
    coming down was scary indeed.
    my knees were shaking.



    Quote Originally Posted by kemperato View Post
    We climbed it 2 years ago. Going up wasn’t too bad. It was coming down that was very scary. Those steps are very steep and narrow in some portions with no handrail. There are sections to stop and rest along the way. As you do so, I’d recommend taking a look back down to judge how comfortable you would be continuing upward. Maybe just go up as far as the handrail and wider steps go which is probably halfway. I like your plan of counting the steps and adding a few each trip. Enjoy!

  8. #8
    Senior Member __steve__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    1556.26 miles from Aruba
    Posts
    418
    Have water available. Try to climb before 9am or after 5pm, but not after sun drops because of the Cascabel
    There seems to always be a nice breeze up there. Jaminota is also available, but more tricky to park and more strenuous.

  9. #9
    Senior Member OneHappyTraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Baby beach, the lighthouse at sunrise & Pure beach
    Posts
    167
    My husband age 66,son 33,granddautghers 11 & 9 and myself 55 walked it last July...the girls didn't think they could do it but ended going all the way.....They were so pride of themselves...we took lots of pictures up there and brought binoculars with us so they could see all around the island...... Diane

  10. #10
    Senior Member Aruba4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,587
    I was not sure what a Cascabel was and now I know....Do they only come out at dusk? Its reason enough for me to never go there....I HATE snakes.

    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Have water available. Try to climb before 9am or after 5pm, but not after sun drops because of the Cascabel
    There seems to always be a nice breeze up there. Jaminota is also available, but more tricky to park and more strenuous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO