Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Aruba Mountains-Hooiberg

Aruba Mountains-Hooiberg

Hey has anybody climb the 560 steps up Hooiberg in Aruba? I have a friend in Aruba who offered to take me this month. I'm not in shape to go all the way up but I figure I will count the steps, make an effort and each trip set a goal to go higher until I can make it to the top.

Aruba since 1979
    Go early in the day before it gets too hot. We did it in 1998 or thereabouts.
    It was a chore then.
    I’d much prefer the beach instead.

We climb it about every other trip to burn a few Bright calories. It's an easy climb - easy to take breaks on the way up, too, and enjoy the view. Definitely go early in the morning before it gets hot and take water. Take your time and enjoy your surroundings.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    some interesting reading Ace! http://www.naturalbornhikers.com/trails/hooiberg.html

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Hey has anybody climb the 560 steps up Hooiberg in Aruba? I have a friend in Aruba who offered to take me this month. I'm not in shape to go all the way up but I figure I will count the steps, make an effort and each trip set a goal to go higher until I can make it to the top.

My friend said she will pick me up at 6:30am. It should be an interesting 5 night solo trip. I have the blue melody booked for day two, this hike and maybe I will bring along my snorkel equip and go to Arashi or the next beach to go snorkeling.

We climbed it 2 years ago. Going up wasn’t too bad. It was coming down that was very scary. Those steps are very steep and narrow in some portions with no handrail. There are sections to stop and rest along the way. As you do so, I’d recommend taking a look back down to judge how comfortable you would be continuing upward. Maybe just go up as far as the handrail and wider steps go which is probably halfway. I like your plan of counting the steps and adding a few each trip. Enjoy!

Aruba since 1979
    i agree
    coming down was scary indeed.
    my knees were shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kemperato View Post
    We climbed it 2 years ago. Going up wasn’t too bad. It was coming down that was very scary. Those steps are very steep and narrow in some portions with no handrail. There are sections to stop and rest along the way. As you do so, I’d recommend taking a look back down to judge how comfortable you would be continuing upward. Maybe just go up as far as the handrail and wider steps go which is probably halfway. I like your plan of counting the steps and adding a few each trip. Enjoy!

Have water available. Try to climb before 9am or after 5pm, but not after sun drops because of the Cascabel
    There seems to always be a nice breeze up there. Jaminota is also available, but more tricky to park and more strenuous.

Boca Catalina, Baby beach, the lighthouse at sunrise & Pure beach
    My husband age 66,son 33,granddautghers 11 & 9 and myself 55 walked it last July...the girls didn't think they could do it but ended going all the way.....They were so pride of themselves...we took lots of pictures up there and brought binoculars with us so they could see all around the island...... Diane

I was not sure what a Cascabel was and now I know....Do they only come out at dusk? Its reason enough for me to never go there....I HATE snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Have water available. Try to climb before 9am or after 5pm, but not after sun drops because of the Cascabel
    There seems to always be a nice breeze up there. Jaminota is also available, but more tricky to park and more strenuous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast