Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CPhT Nancy

Thread: ArubaBob is the Man!

ArubaBob is the Man!

Just wanted to get this in while it's still fresh. We went on a private snorkel trip this AM with Kent (who introduced himself as ArubaBob). We wanted the private trip in case we couldn't go the whole distance. When standing on shore at Mango Halto and looking out at the reef we were going to, and knowing that the current is strong, it was quite intimidating. But Kent put us at ease and is a true professional. It starts out murky near shore where Kent gave instructions on the water scooter. We never could have made this trip without those. Once we got to the reef, we had to follow single file and follow a narrow path with coral all around and pretty strong current. Following Kent with the scooters on high speed, it was a snap...and beautiful. Once outside the reef, the fish and sightseeing are amazing. It was rough and Kent helped out with minor mask problems and all was well. My husband let the air out of his bouyancy compensator and dove down with the scooter a few times for close up looks. Then on the way back through the reef it was another narrow channel following Kent. I don't know how he knew exactly where we were all the time (he said he has made the trip over 1000 times!) as I would look around and not see any land due to the waves. It was a little scary, but incredible. Then a trip over the edge of the inside of the reef where it dropped off steeply to 40 feet deep. We went over a small sunken boat and Kent was able to dive down and swim right through the boat. I never could have gone that long. Kent said his partner Stuart stays under for 2 minutes. Then it was back to shore exhausted. Kent said we covered about 1 mile. On the short van ride back to Club Arias, we talked about wanting to get to one of Dan Putkowski's book signings. Next thing you know Kent is on the phone and 3 minutes later we pull up at Dan's home, and he is outside talking with us and Kent is taking pictures. What nice guys they are! Then to Club Arias where we used the immaculate outdoor (enclosed) showers. This is the best thing we have done so far and we highly recommend. Also, Kent took a lot of pictures and we will get those tomorrow. We are doing the Black Pearl snorkel and sunset cruise Wednesday afternoon and it will be good, but not the same quality of snorkeling. Well, I'm off for a nap, it was tiring!
    If you put some html here, you could create a countdown ticker, but we don't care, we're going in May 2018! Yay!

Aruba since 1979
    excellent!
    my husband and i snorkeled with stuart back in may 2012 and it was an excellent experience!!
    we hope to do it again.

glad you are enjoying your time on island.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPhT Nancy View Post
    Just wanted to get this in while it's still fresh. We went on a private snorkel trip this AM with Kent (who introduced himself as ArubaBob). We wanted the private trip in case we couldn't go the whole distance. When standing on shore at Mango Halto and looking out at the reef we were going to, and knowing that the current is strong, it was quite intimidating. But Kent put us at ease and is a true professional. It starts out murky near shore where Kent gave instructions on the water scooter. We never could have made this trip without those. Once we got to the reef, we had to follow single file and follow a narrow path with coral all around and pretty strong current. Following Kent with the scooters on high speed, it was a snap...and beautiful. Once outside the reef, the fish and sightseeing are amazing. It was rough and Kent helped out with minor mask problems and all was well. My husband let the air out of his bouyancy compensator and dove down with the scooter a few times for close up looks. Then on the way back through the reef it was another narrow channel following Kent. I don't know how he knew exactly where we were all the time (he said he has made the trip over 1000 times!) as I would look around and not see any land due to the waves. It was a little scary, but incredible. Then a trip over the edge of the inside of the reef where it dropped off steeply to 40 feet deep. We went over a small sunken boat and Kent was able to dive down and swim right through the boat. I never could have gone that long. Kent said his partner Stuart stays under for 2 minutes. Then it was back to shore exhausted. Kent said we covered about 1 mile. On the short van ride back to Club Arias, we talked about wanting to get to one of Dan Putkowski's book signings. Next thing you know Kent is on the phone and 3 minutes later we pull up at Dan's home, and he is outside talking with us and Kent is taking pictures. What nice guys they are! Then to Club Arias where we used the immaculate outdoor (enclosed) showers. This is the best thing we have done so far and we highly recommend. Also, Kent took a lot of pictures and we will get those tomorrow. We are doing the Black Pearl snorkel and sunset cruise Wednesday afternoon and it will be good, but not the same quality of snorkeling. Well, I'm off for a nap, it was tiring!

Cphtnancy, Dan was a very pleasant guy. We met him at Scotts Bratts at Playa Linda and he signed a book for ustoo. We saw him again at the airport. He is there on the weekends also. I bet you loved the grille cheese sandwiches on the Black Pearl. We had a great sunset with them this week . Enjoy your trip. We miss Aruba very much.
    Sean and Susan

yea, kent's okay... haha
    see you soon friend

Mango Halto, East Coast jeep riding, Palm Beach
    Aruba Bob snorkeling was the best part of my trip also. Wow you really see so much more using the water fans.