Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: attention scuba divers!

attention scuba divers!

Hi Everyone,
    I was hoping for a recommendation, please. My cousin is coming to Aruba for the first time (staying in the high rise district) and wants to take his kids scuba diving (with instruction first). His children are 13 and 11.

Can anyone of you avid scuba divers please recommend someone who is certified, reliable and most of all safe. With all of the stories as of late with some of the accidents, not to mention a few of the scuba stories you have posted, I want to recommend someone FANTASTIC.

I know that my BB friends will have some good advise.

Thanks all!!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Randi you may wish to read my review of Aruba Watersports at http://bloggingtoaruba.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/scuba-and-the-1.html

They are a small operation. My daughter took a discover scuba class and I took a refresher course. We were the only 2 people in the class. Basically it was one on one instruction.

Our dive consisted of dh, dd, myself, the instructor and only one other person. The instructor held dd's hand and guided her the entire time. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

Randi,
    Red sail has a good discover scuba,its done at the Surf Clubs pool so you could see it first hand how they are.Classes are small and the instructors are good.

I've been very happy with the instructors at Red Sail. I've done my open water and advanced open water certifications through them.

They are staying at the Hyatt, would that make a difference where they signed up for the classes?

I was a little worried about some of your recent posts about the dive boats/issues! Can't help being a "mother" even if its not to my own children!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Randi you may wish to read my review of Aruba Watersports at http://bloggingtoaruba.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/scuba-and-the-1.html

They are a small operation. My daughter took a discover scuba class and I took a refresher course. We were the only 2 people in the class. Basically it was one on one instruction.

Our dive consisted of dh, dd, myself, the instructor and only one other person. The instructor held dd's hand and guided her the entire time. Click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

Lisa, this also looks promising...where is this place located?

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Lisa, this also looks promising...where is this place located?
    They are right between the Radisson and Occidental and used the Radisson's pool for check outs. I really thought they were ideal for our purposes because it was such a small group.

FWIW, I just reviewed the PADI dive operators on theri website www.padi.com and Aruba Watersports is still part of their organization. Unfortunately some dive outfits on the island claim they are, but actually the are not.
    PADI Special Advisories - Dive Centers & Resorts

I have always wanted to try scuba but have never really looked into it. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much training is required to be able to go on a dive. Thanks.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by mrem3200 View Post
    I have always wanted to try scuba but have never really looked into it. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much training is required to be able to go on a dive. Thanks.
    Rick
    http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-guide/start-scuba-diving/try-scuba-diving/default.aspx
    "How the Resort Course Works [aka Discover Scuba Course]

Your scuba instructor will spend a little time with you to explain the basic principles of scuba diving and give you an overview of your scuba gear, which is supplied by the dive shop.

Once you feel comfortable, your instructor will take you in the pool to help you learn basic scuba skills. Then, if you like, you can go with your instructor for a short discovery dive up to 40 feet/ 12 metres. Most Discover Scuba Diving experiences about an hour or two."

In our case dd first viewed the Discover Scuba video (some instructors use a flip chart). This was followed by a short familiarization in the swimming pool before heading out onto the wreck.

Arubalisa, is this the place you used?
    http://www.visitarubaplus.com/uniquesports/

The only two places actually PADI certified is that place and Red Sail sports also suggested by Chadd and DannyO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast