Aruba Beach
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By __steve__
  • 1 Post By Jacki
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14

Thread: best place to walk in and snorkel

best place to walk in and snorkel

we have guests coming with us this trip and am not sure one of them will want to snorkel. we will have some gear with us. is there someplace you would recommend that we could just go in right off the shore and do some snorkeling in shallow water. I think maybe this would make him much more comfortable.

thanks
    todd

Aruba since 1979
    if you will have a car, then i recommend BABY BEACH ...the area INSIDE the seawall.
    this is IMO the best for beginners.
    i reiterate...inside the seawall.

or

catalina cove.
    unfortunately catalina cove is sometimes a bit rocky underfoot at water's edge while getting in.
    it is beautiful though.
    staying close to shore for beginner is important.

lots to see at both locations

and since you will be at the renaissance:
    a great snorkle spot in chest deep water is along the seawall (inside) @ Renaissance Island on the family side.
    we have seen much marine life there. we have never been disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyetodd View Post
    we have guests coming with us this trip and am not sure one of them will want to snorkel. we will have some gear with us. is there someplace you would recommend that we could just go in right off the shore and do some snorkeling in shallow water. I think maybe this would make him much more comfortable.

thanks
    todd
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-15-2015 at 07:35 PM.

If you have a car, Mangel Halto is nice, but you must wear water shoes. Stay close to shore if not experienced.

Mangel Halto is quite nice, actually the best in my opinion, but it is tricky to navigate and you must know where to swim. It's also condition dependent and unpredictable. To enjoy this one it is highly recommended to be done in an organized tour, with like ArubaBob.

Catalina cove is quite easy to park and hop in (30 seconds to the water). There are rocks, but also a sand trail you can walk on until you are swimming. Easy quick access to good snorkeling.
    Parking: 12.606307, -70.052290

Malmok beach has good parking too with a several good places to enter, some are more trickier than others. Like Catalina, it's a fast and easy way to snorkel. You may have to walk down a few jagged rocks - I just walk down in flip-flops then wedge them in a crevice somewhere near the water where they will stay put.
    Parking: 12.598851, -70.050056

Baby beach is awesome, but has some areas one may want to avoid (as I included in the attachment). It's a 20 - 40 min drive and the beach chairs are about $10 to rent. Easy snorkleing can be accomplished in the green zones. The orange area is shallow and rocky with crannies and has a strong, cool, nutrient rich current that fish love. I like to swim all the way up the channel until my belly hits the sand, then I zig zag back with the current. Avoid the red X area. I once swam up in that area not knowing any better - I soon realized I was in a potentially dangerous situation (had a blast though).
    Parking: 12.413722, -69.879070

Expect the water to be about 82F now in Aruba. There is a lot of traffic (mostly recreational devices, tours, police, and fisherman) about 200m out from shore (where there is also less to see).

best place to walk in and snorkel-safe-area-snorkel-baby-beach.jpg
    Last edited by __steve__; 06-06-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Great information! Thanks Steve
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Wow, thanks Steve!
    Not sure when, but we will be back