Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best Snorkle sites?

Best Snorkle sites?

Would love to know where the best beach snorkel sites are? We would like to be able to accessas many as we can from the shore, but would also like to know which snorkel excursions are good for beginners. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Aruba since 1979
    here are many "snorkel threads"

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling.html
    a great beginner shore entry snorkel is BABY BEACH

also too, just as great, but a little bit rockier entry but very doable is Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove

Good Beginner snorkel excursions .........from a boat? I am not sure that I would recommend any snorkel excursion from a boat for a new BEGINNER. I always recommend to new beginners to practice in shallow water in a pool or the ocean. If the new beginner feels comfortable in deepwater, then i would readily recommend any of the boat snorkel excursions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bixa2805 View Post
    Would love to know where the best beach snorkel sites are? We would like to be able to accessas many as we can from the shore, but would also like to know which snorkel excursions are good for beginners. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I was surprised when we were on Tranquilo in December.

There were a number of "beginner" snorkelers and they all got used to snorkel in the 6' shallow snorkel and were all brave enough to go on the 60' drift snorkel.

The area for the 6' snorkel is pretty easy as long as the waves are not big. Boca Catalina is good for "practice" though not much to see unless you swim north towards Catalina Cove.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Arashi beach is a good one for beginners. Malmok as well. Baby beach as mentioned before is an excellent starter beach.

I guess I shouldn't say we are beginners, we have snorkeled in St. Martin and last year in Curacao. We always enter from the shore and in Curacao we were snorkeling in 60 ' water. We are both decent swimmers but I prefer to snorkel in calm water verses water that is rough and has a lot of current. I realize the weather affects the conditions of the water, but if there are beaches we can enter right from the water in fairly calm water, this is what we prefer. I wouldn't mind going on a snorkel tour if it's in fairly calm waters. I do tend to get seasick. Is there anywhere we can see starfish? They amaze me, and I would love to see a few of them. Will definitely check out some of the beaches you suggested. How do we find these beaches? This is our first trip so can we get a map or how do we find our way around?

Aruba since 1979
    bixa, i tend to get seasick too and that is why i love shore entry as opposed to going on a boat.

so now sort of knowing your capabilities, i would with certainty recommend to you
    Boca Catalina
    Catalina Cove

(both north of the marriott and i will try to find a map and post)

also too a FUN and safe adventure is a "arubabob's" snorkel adventure using hand held scooters at mangel halto
    i will come back and post that website for that snorkel adventure
    OFTEN there is a current there, but life vests are required and provided AND the scooter propel you on the surface and it was my all time favorite snorkel adventure.

in aruba we always see starfish, but so much other marine life too.

off to search for a map of boca catalina and catalna cove
    about a mile north past the marriott. (on the public bus line)

and do not deep six the idea of baby beach.....it is awesome.

baby beach is at the south end of the island about 30 - 40 min from the resort areas

I guess I shouldn't say we are beginners, we have snorkeled in St. Martin and last year in Curacao. We always enter from the shore and in Curacao we were snorkeling in 60 ' water. We are both decent swimmers but I prefer to snorkel in calm water verses water that is rough and has a lot of current. I realize the weather affects the conditions of the water, but if there are beaches we can enter right from the water in fairly calm water, this is what we prefer. I wouldn't mind going on a snorkel tour if it's in fairly calm waters. I do tend to get seasick. Is there anywhere we can see starfish? They amaze me, and I would love to see a few of them. Will definitely check out some of the beaches you suggested. How do we find these beaches? This is our first trip so can we get a map or how do we find our way around?

Thank you Andrea, I will definitely put Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove on our list. If you could help us with a map that would be awesome. We intend to check out Baby Beach also. Thank you for your help!

Aruba since 1979
    you are very welcome
    i asked arubalisa to find the map
    i have "given up"
    but it is really very easy
    it is on the main drag and the bus route.
    it is north of the marriott and ritz and windsurfing area by about a mile or so.

Thank you Andrea, I will definitely put Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove on our list. If you could help us with a map that would be awesome. We intend to check out Baby Beach also. Thank you for your help!

Aruba since 1979
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-03-2014 at 12:25 AM.

I have individuals maps and more info on Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove including photos here.

You can find starfish just about anywhere in Aruba, you just have to look for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast