Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best time and place to see turtles

Quote Originally Posted by bryanne911 View Post
    mnwild..how far out did u have to go to see the turtles? we have never snorkled, but would love to see some sea life, esp. turtles!
    They were very close to shore. No more than 6 or 7 feet deep. The key is to get there before the snorkeling excursions do. I think that scares them away. We ususally tried to get out there before 9AM.

If you have never snorkeled before..... practice in the swimming pool first. You might look like a dork, but it is not easy getting the flippers on.

Aruba since 1979
    i have taught many folks snorkeling in the pool.
    it is so easy to do in the confined space and no waves.

mnwild,

those pics are great ,, thanks . The fact that you swam with it, makes it all the more memorable.

Just got back last week. We saw one turtle at Catalina Cove and swam with him for 5-10 minutes. We were there around 8 am. Great experience!

P3R
    Quote Originally Posted by mnwild View Post
    We snorkeled every day, morning and afternoon. We saw turtles at Catalina Cove 4 days in a row. It was always in the morning, before the tours showed up, between 8 -9:00AM.
    This was spot on for us. We went at around 8:30 AM, and there it was, doing it's turtlestuff...! It took off almost the minute the first snorkeling boat showed up
    Back to Aruba in:

What beaches would you recommend for snorkeling? Sounds like Baby Beach and Catalina Cove have good snorkeling. We're probably renting a car for a day and I was thinking of stopping at some of the beaches along the way for snorkeling on our way to see the other side of the island.

Aruba since 1979
    Snorkeling Question
    check out the above LINK

catalina cove really is a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by motivateddiva View Post
    What beaches would you recommend for snorkeling? Sounds like Baby Beach and Catalina Cove have good snorkeling. We're probably renting a car for a day and I was thinking of stopping at some of the beaches along the way for snorkeling on our way to see the other side of the island.

Any recent turtle sightings?

We are thinking about trying to see the turtles one morning at Boca Catalina. Has anyone seen them recently? I've read they feed in the grassy areas outside of the swim ropes. We will have fins, and are considering getting the swim vests like some of the tours give you to blow up if you want. Would we need them here? We are both decent swimmers, but not sure of the currents in this area. Any advice on seeing turtles or snorkeling in the Boca Catalina area?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    in all of the times that we have snorkeled in catalina cove............we have only seen a turtle once

we have always found the area an easy snorkel and no battling the currents.
    however, that does not mean there are no currents.........we just have always been lucky.

It was a struggle getting back to Boca Catalina this past Monday. We swim out about a quarter mile then not quite as far as Arashi.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast