Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bring or rent snorkel gear

bring or rent snorkel gear

should we bring our own snorkel gear, or are there plenty of places to rent? can you rent gear for the week so we have it whenever we want to go out? any idea of prices?
    thanks,
    gayle

I would bring your own.

http://www.arubawatersportcenter.com/pricelist_WS.htm

"Snorkel Equipment (24 hours) $16"

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I would definately bring your own...The thought of using something thats been on someone's elses face that close kinda skeves me out...

Yes bring your own , what is it $ 25 to $4o and you have it, also you can purchase breathing tubes in a variety of colors so when you look up you can hone in on who your with very easily and know they are safe.

I spent less that $16 on a dry top snorkel from leisure pro. Fins are the only thing that is remotely difficult to pack. Masks and snorkels take up very little space. If your mask came in a plastic case, make sure you pack it back in that when you pack your bag. It will protect the lens from any baggage mishaps.

Chadd, what about your scuba gear...do you take your bc, reg and wetsuit or do you rent?? Now that I'm excited about going I am not sure if I should take my gear or not...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I am not sure if I should take my gear or not...
    I am not Chadd, but if you have all that $$$ invested in your own gear, why not use it? Besides, more importantly it is your gear, so you are used to it and it "fits" you.

ArubaLisa...you are, as usual, right !!! I am so new that I really only know my gear and would probably have a stroke if I had to use another manufacturer's gear that I was unfamiliar with ......so right-0.....I will pack my own.
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Michele, here is US Air policy on dive gear. Obviously you are not traveling with a tank.

"Scuba diving equipment

Effective April 1, 2009, scuba diving equipment (including the scuba tank) will be accepted as checked baggage for $100. If the scuba tank is not included, the remaining items will be accepted as part of the normal baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. Items are subject to overweight and oversize fees if over 50 lbs or 62 inches. One item of scuba diving equipment consists of:
    • 1 empty scuba tank
    • 1 regulator
    • 1 pressure tank
    • 1 mask
    • 2 fins
    • 1 snorkel
    • 1 knife
    • 1 spear gun
    • 1 B.C. vest"

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Chadd, what about your scuba gear...do you take your bc, reg and wetsuit or do you rent?? Now that I'm excited about going I am not sure if I should take my gear or not...
    I normally don't use a wetsuit and I don't own a tank, everything else comes with me. At 6-1 230, a lot of rental gear doesn't fit me, so I prefer my own. I also feel more comfortable with gear that I know, I don't have to figure out the quirks that each piece of gear inevitably has. I also like having my own computer with me, I can go back and fill out all of the dive details in my log book after I get back to the room, or back from the trip. Saves a lot of time on the boat and nothing gets wet.

One caveat though, I work for an airline and don't have to pay for my checked bag. If I had to pay an extra couple hundred bucks for a round trip things would probably be a little different.

EDIT:
    If you are already checking a bag, you can probably get all of your personal gear into any carry-on sized roller bag. Fins can be a problem for me but I'm guessing you don't have size 11 (or larger) feet.
    Last edited by Chadd; 09-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast