Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bring or rent snorkel gear

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    I normally don't use a wetsuit and I don't own a tank, everything else comes with me. At 6-1 230, a lot of rental gear doesn't fit me, so I prefer my own. I also feel more comfortable with gear that I know, I don't have to figure out the quirks that each piece of gear inevitably has. I also like having my own computer with me, I can go back and fill out all of the dive details in my log book after I get back to the room, or back from the trip. Saves a lot of time on the boat and nothing gets wet.

One caveat though, I work for an airline and don't have to pay for my checked bag. If I had to pay an extra couple hundred bucks for a round trip things would probably be a little different.

EDIT:
    If you are already checking a bag, you can probably get all of your personal gear into any carry-on sized roller bag. Fins can be a problem for me but I'm guessing you don't have size 11 (or larger) feet.
    Chadd and ArubaLisa...thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
    I would probably plan on taking my bc, regulator&computer(of course on carry-on) fins (not size 11), mask&snorkel and was planning on bringing a 3mil wetsuit(only because my dive instructor takes a group to Bonaire every year and he said they use theirs all the time, so I was going by him)
    the other question I have is this....I would not take my weights, but since I have a bc that has the integrated weight system would I be able to rent just weight bags to put into the weight bag holder ????

The other thing is that I fly usair and have status so I do not have to pay for luggage, so I can take 2 suitcases and I assume so can my husband since we are booked on one confirmation number ???? If that is the case I should be fine with my luggage....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I think you could get by with the BC in your luggage. The reg and computer for sure in the carry on.

Not sure about weight "bags" but you could definitely come up with something in Aruba rather than lugging the weight. Heck a lot of divemasters I have dove with have carried extra weight in their pockets "just in case" someone couldn't get down.

You will be using more weight in Aruba than you did in fresh water in that you will be more buoyant (salt water is denser than fresh water ).

I agree, since checked bag fees shouldn't be an issue, might as well put everything other than the reg and computer into the checked bags. No need to take weights, Red Sail includes weights as part of the standard dive fee, I would expect that others would do the same. Just pack your regulator near the top or take it out of your bag on the way through the TSA line. It might prevent them from running your bag through three or four times.

A 3mm suit should be just fine for most people. I'm trying to find a good deal on s shorty for those three or four dive days.

ArubaLisa and Chadd...
    again thanks for the info...I figured I would take the weight bag carriers empty and hope they have the bead bags to put in the carriers that go into the bc.
    ArubaLisa...Yeah if I'm not heavy enough without the bc, tank and regular weights...I might not be able to walk with the additional weight for salt water....might have to go in and put bc on in the water just so I don't collapse on the boat !!!!!!
    Anyway..I figured I would take my reg and computer in my carry-on or backpack and pack every thing else....can not wait to jump in the caribbean....!!!!
    Will definitely let you know how everything goes...
    BTW...Chadd did you say you would be there while Dh and I are there??? Nov 1-Nov22 ???
    Can let you know how it went when we all meet to say hey....
    Staying at Divi Village...will pm whoever wants to know last name to leave a message at hotel...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    might have to go in and put bc on in the water just so I don't collapse on the boat !!!!!!
    I have done it the other way around at the end of a dive, but that is a new one on me.

You should be fine. There will be people on the boat who will help you out. Just remember how to do your scissor kick while holding your mask. Getting a mask full of water or worse having it come off would NOT be a good way to begin.

Are you going on the Pedernales for your first dive? My dd dove it when she was 10 and had a blast! Here she is below doing her pool work.

Just got my October schedule and it looks like I'll be heading down somewhere between the 28th and 30th and staying for a week or so. The wife and I may "rough it" at Eagle Beach Club this trip, $60 a night is hard to resist and allows for more diving. My in-laws will be at the Tam from the 2nd through the 9th, so I will be in the neighborhood all week.

Pedernales is a neat dive, and there's always something different to see. Since I did a lot of my certification stuff with Red Sail, I dove that site at least five or six times.

Aruba since 1979
    chadd
    what/where is Eagle beach Club?
    is it aruba beach club?

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Just got my October schedule and it looks like I'll be heading down somewhere between the 28th and 30th and staying for a week or so. The wife and I may "rough it" at Eagle Beach Club this trip, $60 a night is hard to resist and allows for more diving. My in-laws will be at the Tam from the 2nd through the 9th, so I will be in the neighborhood all week.

Pedernales is a neat dive, and there's always something different to see. Since I did a lot of my certification stuff with Red Sail, I dove that site at least five or six times.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    chadd
    what/where is Eagle beach Club?
    is it aruba beach club?

andrea
    I wondered the same!

MVC Eagle Beach Club is a very small "motel" type place. It's right next to Oceania. It is listed as one of the special deals on the home page here:
    http://crm.aruba.com/specials/index.jsp

I stayed there in April when I cam down to visit a co-worker on his vacation. It's small and very basic, but the price allows me to stay much longer than I would otherwise. The two bartenders are great, really nice people and I actually checked in at the bar because the office was closed early the one day. Other than that, I don't really care for the staff or the hotel itself but I don't spend much time in my room.

Ah! Now I understand! Good deal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12