Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping on the Island

Camping on the Island

Hello everyone,

I'm coming down next week to visit a friend who is teaching on the island. And since he has a small place I figured I'd venture out and camp a couple of days to give him his space.

The question is.... can this be done? There seems to be zero information on pitching a tent anywhere on the island. I understand there is a special week where locals camp on the beach, but outside of that no info is available. Can anyone provide any insight into camping on the beach or in close proximity on some remote part of the island?

Very much appreciated.

I think you can camp at some of the ranches. You'd have to inquire with them....

Hmm.. only on private property... ranches?

I guess the parks that are there don't provide tent areas? Seems like a lost opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the island.

I've never heard of anyone camping on the island. The locals are allowed to camp on the beaches during Easter week but that's the only time they allow it on the beaches.

No tent areas in Arikok Park that I know of - it's pretty deserted out there and don't know if you could even get a stake in the ground since it's hard as a rock.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    i have never heard of any camping on aruba except for those that camp during HOLY WEEK

andrea
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-03-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: i editied out insensitive remarks

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    No tent areas in Arikok Park that I know of - it's pretty deserted out there and don't know if you could even get a stake in the ground since it's hard as a rock.
    A stake in the ground? What about the RATTLE SNAKES on the ground?

Seriously, there are no "facilities" either. The camping which is done by the locals during Easter week, if I am not mistaken, is done by permit. http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/easter.html

ha... thanks for the reply's. Yes, camping isn't for everyone, but I do enjoy the beauty of sleeping under the stars. Something magical about it.

And yes, the critters outside your tent make it all the more memorable. Having dealt with bears, elk, coyotes, raccoons and skunks outside the thin walls of a tent has made for a few memorable nights of sleep. Or lack there of.

Aruba since 1979
    see if you can contact eddy croes
    he is the resident "outdoorsman"
    here is a link to arikok
    no mention of camping there though

and while exploring the island a few weeks ago we saw a dead (run over) rattlesnake in the road near the little bridge near spanish lagoon.

we stopped, looked and were amazed. the only rs i had ever seen was in an enclosure at the trailside museum in canton, ma.

check out the link
    http://www.aruba.com/whattodo/arikokpark.php

and in no way did i try to minimize camping
    it was insulting to you and i was trying to be "cute"
    i apologize
    (hubby and son are eagle scouts and are camping pros....i on the other hand do not appreciate the great outdoors, stars, fresh air and all of the good stuff that i should be appreciative of)

andrea j

Quote Originally Posted by prizm View Post
    ha... thanks for the reply's. Yes, camping isn't for everyone, but I do enjoy the beauty of sleeping under the stars. Something magical about it.

And yes, the critters outside your tent make it all the more memorable. Having dealt with bears, elk, coyotes, raccoons and skunks outside the thin walls of a tent has made for a few memorable nights of sleep. Or lack there of.

Thanks for the info Andrea. I leave tomorrow so packing extra gear might be out of the question if I can't nail down a good location to pitch a tent....

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Banned
    Manchebo Eagle Beach, Oceania Residences, Occidental
    I would be more concerned about the giant centipedes... ewwwwww! those things give me the willies!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast