Aruba Beach

Thread: Climbing Hooliberg

Climbing Hooliberg

Can you still climb the "haystack"? Always said I would climb to the top but haven"t. Coming back for the 12th time July 20 and after recovering from throat cancer in 2011 I plan toget the job done. What do I need to know? Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    congrats and good wishes on your recovery!!

folks are still climbing the many steps of the haystack aka hoiiberg.

good athletic shoes (shoes that are NOT new and must be well broken in) my son wore his new balance runners and daughter in law wore her regular sneakers.
    i wore .....oh, that's right i did not do it. i am too lazy but cheer those on from the beach where i choose to spend my days.

a bottle of water.

a sweat band

sunblock on you

a waist pack for incidentals.....car keys, few $, leave nothing in your car!!

Quote Originally Posted by geraldg51 View Post
    Can you still climb the "haystack"? Always said I would climb to the top but haven"t. Coming back for the 12th time July 20 and after recovering from throat cancer in 2011 I plan toget the job done. What do I need to know? Thanks!

Boca Catalina, Baby beach, the lighthouse at sunrise & Pure beach
    We climbed it a couple of years ago & will be doing it again in July.....water bottle (big bottle) .... we froze ours most of the way so it would last awhile...take a camera with you the view up there is great

click on thumbnails to enlarge

I think you can pick out the Riu

Bring water, water, water! And make sure you do your climb either early in the morning before the heat starts or late afternoon/early evening is also good because the sun will start casting a shadow over the side with the steps so that you have "shade" all the way up. It's a great view at the top. My husband and I usually do "the climb" about every 2 or 3 trips.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

what is the easiest route to hooiberg and if i go early in the am, will there be others there, safe to walk up alone? i'm thinking of climbing this weekend..