Aruba Beach

Thread: contacts or prescription snorkel mask?

contacts or prescription snorkel mask?

Hi guys.
    My husband wears glasses most of the time but he will occassionally wear contacts when it is more convienent, ie at an amusememt park where they may fly off his face on a ride.
    We do plan on snorkeling a few times in Aruba and I was wondering if it would be better for him to wear contacts and a regular mask or to get a prescription mask.
    Is there anyone out there who has this same situation?
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    Curacao spring break trip in

Christmas in Aruba in

Great question!

I have done both. I no longer wear contacts and now use a prescription mask.

I preferred contacts. My husband dives/snorkels in contacts.

I have very poor eye sight so must put the prescription mask on my face the moment I take my glasses off (leaving them in the car or beach bag if we are on a boat). It is very awkward walking.

For a prescription masks I can highly recommend http://www.wintechsnorkeling.com/32-masks
    scroll down the page for the less expensive masks.

Thanks for the info. I will let him know what you think and see what he wants to do. I checked that website out and those are much less expensive than the masks I found at other online stores. Getting the mask so much cheaper will definately be good lol!

Christmas in Aruba in

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

I have very poor eye sight so must put the prescription mask on my face the moment I take my glasses off
    I was wondering who that was wearing the snorkle mask at the restaurant when I was there in December!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

My husband and son both go snorkeling while wearing their contacts under a regular mask. They've never lost a contact and have had no problems.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    I was wondering who that was wearing the snorkle mask at the restaurant when I was there in December!
    Ha! ha! You give me away! And now I may have a glass tube coming out of the mask to use as a snorkel.

I wouldn't buy a mask just to snorkel a few times in aruba, unless you are planning on making it a regular hobby. Contacts work just fine.

Well Aaron snorkeled a lot as a child and teenager and he is wanting to go a few places that have really nice snorkeling so the mask would not just be for one trip. It does however seem that would probably just be easier for him to wear the contacts the days we snorkel so that way he is not either blind (he is like Lisa and can't see ANYTHING without the glasses) and having to wear the mask all the time or we have to keep up with his glasses when we are in the water.

Christmas in Aruba in

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    I purposely got contacts before a cruise so I could snorkel. Like Lisa said, I think it would be hard to get used to the mask and kind of inconvenient if your eyesight is bad (mine is!). I've never had a problem wearing contacts while snorkeling.

Thanks guys for all your input. It is settled and he will just go with the contacts.

Christmas in Aruba in