Aruba Beach

Thread: Cross Training in Aruba

Cross Training in Aruba

Hello everyone,
    We have friends visiting the Island in March from Wales UK, and one is training for the London Marathon, even on holiday he needs to continue his training, can anybody help us on this matter? He will go early mornings due to the heat. Where would it be the best roads to run safely? We know their is a Marathon in Aruba for Flag day... do you know where people train for this? Could be an option.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

cross training

Hello we will be in Aruba in March for 17 days. We have friends that are joining us from Wales UK and one is training for the London Marathon.
    Even on holidays he will need to continue his training... but what a beautiful place to do this!!!
    I know that their is a marathon in Aruba on Flag Day. Can any body tell us where the safest place for him to run? Where do Aruban train for this event?

Thanks for the help if possible...

Regards,

Lynn,

Not sure where you are staying, but I own a timeshare at the Playalinda at the end of July and I am usually training for a marathon myself. The most I have ever ran at once while in Aruba was like 13 miles though. I have run both at night and early morning. I ran most of it on their "main" roads. I say "main" because they are nothing like a highway in the US. I think they are fairly safe and fairly empty early morning or late night. Would have to say early would be safer in my opinion. From Playalinda (high rise section), I have run both north to the Lighthouse (northwest tip of island) and southeast to oranjestad. From PL its about 3.75miles to lighthouse (one way). It is a hilly course once you get near the lighthouse and there are some very steep (but short) segments close to the lighthouse. Good workout! The good news is that you get to run down them on the way back. So thats about a 7.5 mile run from PL. If you go south from PL (running part of it on the walkway by beach) you will end up in Oranjestad in about 5 miles (trying to remember...) so out and back would get you about 10. That direction (staying by the coast) is almost completeyly flat. Never really ventured far off those courses but there are small windy roads all over the island. Didn't want to get myself lost.....at least until I explore them with a car first knowing where they lead.

Scott
    Toms River, NJ

Lynn, how was London? Are you running it again this year?

Shanb42,
    London was great, can't remember his placing... I was not running it, a friend of ours did and is doing it again this year, next month if I'm not mistaken (May 2010).

He did run the Aruba 1/2 marathon last year and came in first in his age group, 55-59!!! He had no idea!! We picked up his trophy for him this year.

That's fantastic!