Aruba Beach

Thread: De Palm Island

Smile De Palm Island

Hello, I am from the UK and due to make my first visit to aruba in about a month's time. I've read lots of conficting reviews about De Palm Island on other sies, but wanted to ask Forum members - is it worth the visit. I like to think I am a fairly competent snorkeller, but have only ever snorkelled from shore (not off a boat). I will do some snorkelling on the island with hubby. I am just in two minds as to whether to bother with De Palm Island ... the sea trek sounds great ... I don't want to miss out! any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Aruba since 1979
    i think the depalm island snorkel is worth the high price (my opinion) to a few.

there are many choices re: snorkeling

On your own at Baby Beach, Catalina Cove, Mangel Halto.
    On a boat such as Octopus and Tranquilo.........quiet and calm and adult oriented
    or
    on the Jolly Pirate boat that includes a rope swing

there are many options.
    if you are a nervous snorkeler and prefer an EASY snorkel, then DePalm may be right for you (as it includes, lunch beverage and transportation from your hotel).
    do not go out too far as sometimes it gets a bit rough.

click the below link for more snorkel reading

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling.html

Aruba since 1979
    sorry
    i forgot to say welcome to the aruba.com community forum

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    We went once several years ago and we had a nice time. We would probably not return, but only because there are so many other things we like to do that don't necessarily require a hefty admission fee. We always bring our own snorkel gear, and we know where some of the good spots are. I found the food to be average, at best. If you have young children, they will enjoy the water park. One other recommendation: if you have a car, drive to dePalm yourself. The bus ride was VERY long, and the fee for it is reflected in the price you pay at your hotel's concierge service.

Here's a link to a photo of dePalm Island taken from the air.

http://bentpage.wordpress.com/2011/0...-island-aruba/

Enjoy.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Hi, thanks for all the advice so far. At the moment, DPI is on the list of things to do in the second week, but not the first thing I do! :-)

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    If you are competent snorkeler, go to Boca Catalina and snorkel from te beach. You won't be disappointed. We've consistently had the best and most varied fish - watching there. We also like Roberto's Watersports for a Tri-hull sailboat snorkel trip. (You'll wind up at Boca Catalina or Arashi beach, but also get to do a deeper water snorkel over a sunken ship).

For a more adventurous snorkel, you can hook up with Kent Geber if he's available, for a snorkel at Mangel Halto. I wouldn't try that one myself. Kent is a great guide.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f10/snork...20/#post206903

IMO, DePalm is not worth it, based on the conversations I've had with folks who have done it.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your snorkeling as well as the rest of your holiday.