Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: De Palm Island

To me Renaissance Island is geared more towards adults, and my opinion is nicer then depalm.

Is the snorkeling better at Renn Island?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    the WOW factor is more at DePalm for snorkeling.
    the blue parrot fish are amazing there.
    but the reef is pretty dead and there is not a heck of a lot of life or color aside from the big blue parrot fish.

the WOW factor at renaissance island is less obvious. there are a LOT of fish and a lot of variety but only in a small location near the break in the sea wall. paul and i spend many hours in that area puttzing around and enjoying good variety and pretty fish....including a large barracuda that was giving us the old stink eye for a while, day after day.
    renaissance is a great place to spend the day!
    lovely beach.

if you are planning on spending $ for snorkeling i say your best bet (and it is just my opinion) take the snorkeling tour with KENT!! ArubaBob snorkeling. For about $45 pp, kent or stuart or kat will take you out into mangel halto spanish lagoon snorkeling in a beautiful area with lots of fish, beautiful living reef and even a small wreck. the snorkeling is even made more fun (and easy) due to the hand held snorkeling propulsion devices. oh what a blast!

private message KENT on this forum for more info.

also go into MY ARUBA STORY category and read of Marcio and Cristina Campos Honeymoon to Aruba....May 2012 They did a Kent snorkel tour and LOVED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Is the snorkeling better at Renn Island?

Andrea I believe that same cudda has been hanging around there for years. Every year when I snorkel there I always see one lone cudda and he just stalks me the whole time, I swear its the same one every time.

Aruba since 1979
    ya i bet you are right.
    does it give you the stink eye as he is stalking you?

actually, he does kind scare me.
    each time he hangs out near that wall opening and i really want to get close to that opening, but he prevents it.

Quote Originally Posted by miky2884 View Post
    Andrea I believe that same cudda has been hanging around there for years. Every year when I snorkel there I always see one lone cudda and he just stalks me the whole time, I swear its the same one every time.

Yep never takes his eyes off of me, I have gotten close to him and tried to shew him away he doesn't even move just stands his ground, he is 100% not intimidated of me. After testing him I finally gave up and gave him my respect because he sure wasn't going to back down. Ive seen him every year for the past 3 years curious if I will see him this year, im convinced its the same fish.
    Keep in mind cudda are attracted to bright and reflective objects

Does anyone know what they charge for half day to palm island. The price I saw was only a little cheaper than full day?

My opinion - choose the full day DePalm Island option - not much more expensive and you can leave when you want and not feel rushed to get everything in. My kids (9, 11 & 20) LOVE it there.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    My opinion - choose the full day DePalm Island option - not much more expensive and you can leave when you want and not feel rushed to get everything in.
    That is what we did, bought the full day and ended up taking a taxi back. The taxi was a little expensive, I want to say around $40 with a tip and holiday surcharge. If you have a car, you don't have to worry about that though. But for us, that was $40 well spent to not have to ride the bus and make all the stops at different hotels and we left around 2pm. Looking back we probably should have done the 1/2 day. We don't have kids so we didn't do the waterpark at all. We did do the sea trek which I enjoyed. There are lots of fish and the guys that take you down are really great and make you feel really comfortable. One thing to note, you cannot drink alcohol before the sea trek, and you get a wristband to identify you. So if you are in a later group for the sea trek or there for half day, you don't get the full open bar benefit. We also got in some decent snorkeling, but you can only snorkel in a designated area. The time spent relaxing on the beach was great. The water was clear and we got some great pictures of the pelicans. It was a relaxing day for us, but I'm not sure I would do it again. It kind of had a Carnival Cruise ship feel on the island. We waited for the bus, we waited for the ferry, we waited in line for average buffet food. But that being said, it was a fun day for us. And none of these waits were long, just gave me that feeling of being herded around a little, like how I felt on our cruise experience.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Curious how crowds are at Depalm in July or if there is a more preferable day of the week to avoid cruise crowds. It looks really nice but I am one of those people who hates being crowded in. I have been on far too many touristy snorkel tours where I spent the whole time being kicked in the head by someone elses swim fins or been packed in shoulder to shoulder on the beach....I like my personal space when on vacation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast