Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discover SCUBA ~ Who has the pool??

Let us know if you like Red Sail. Have fun!!

How long does it take to get certified?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
    How long does it take to get certified?
    Four dives for a PADI open water certification. You can even do the "classroom" coursework online if you don't want to be studying in the hotel at night. The online coursework is actually pretty nice as it allows you to go over the material as many times as you need in order to feel comfortable.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Four dives for a PADI open water certification. You can even do the "classroom" coursework online if you don't want to be studying in the hotel at night. The online coursework is actually pretty nice as it allows you to go over the material as many times as you need in order to feel comfortable.

Do you have a link for this on line course work?

The way I did it was over a weekend at the instructors house - he had a pool. Both days were a full 8 hours.

The following weekend we went to Monterey & did 2 dives each day!!

So - you can get all the classroom work done on line - then go to Aruba for the open water dives?? That's a great idea!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
    Do you have a link for this on line course work?

The way I did it was over a weekend at the instructors house - he had a pool. Both days were a full 8 hours.

The following weekend we went to Monterey & did 2 dives each day!!

So - you can get all the classroom work done on line - then go to Aruba for the open water dives?? That's a great idea!!

Thanks!
    I did that for my open water and advanced open water. I did my pool work in half an hour or so, but it was one on one with the instructor and we covered a lot of material in a short amount of time. I did both of my courses with Red Sail and I simply had to bring verification that I completed the coursework. Make sure you call or email and work out the details in advance. And make sure you tell them I said hello when you get there.

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-cours...s/default.aspx

Aqua Windies

You can try Aqua Windies, which is located near the hospital. (coincidence?)
    They do have their own pool and instructors. I have bought snorkel gear, but not scuba.
    Here is the website: http://www.windieswatersport.com/
    Here is the site for free online training: http://www.divessi.com/online
    Last edited by trush; 10-21-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: adding more info

Thanks all!!

We are looking at doing the on-line training. Funny ~ when I went to get certified I had to do a swim test - swim the length of the pool up & back 10 times using any method I wanted. By length 10 - I was on my back just floating down.

Quote Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
    Thanks all!!

We are looking at doing the on-line training. Funny ~ when I went to get certified I had to do a swim test - swim the length of the pool up & back 10 times using any method I wanted. By length 10 - I was on my back just floating down.
    You will have to do that in order to pass. ten or fifteen minutes treading water, or floating on your back like I did, and swim a 100 meters or so. There aren't any time limits on the swimming portion so a nice easy backstroke worked for me. I just used it as a little extra time to work on my tan.

Good to know ~ thanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12