Aruba Beach

Thread: Diving first timer

Diving first timer

Hello again everyone!

First and foremost, I have to say that although I am 49 days away from my 1st trip to Aruba, I have the feeling I should already be planning my second! It's amazing how I get this overwhelming feeling every time I think of what's coming!... Thank you all for having ALREADY made my 1st trip to Aruba so exciting. Now for the question.. I have never scuba-dived before and have very little snorkeling experience but I would still like to dive while on the island. Can anyone recommend a good snorkeling/scuba trip for 1st timers? I am not necessarily looking for a party (food/drinks) trip.Also, it would be great if there were any half-day tours as well; I will only be in the island for 4 days and would prefer not to spend an entire day on a boat. Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have to commend everyone for the quick responses! Especially Arubalisa.. you have been of great help so far! Thanks!

You are very welcome.

Before you dedicate part of your time to a classroom for a Discover Scuba course, check out the snorkeling first.

If you have been before at all and want to check out your skills, get some snorkel gear and head up to Boca Catalina and just go off of the beach.

OR you can do Jolly Pirate's afternoon snorkel sail. I just wrote about our JP's experience here.

Once comfortable with your skills, you can take a Discover Scuba course. We took our dd on a snorkel excursion on the Tranquilo (but it is a full day) to see how she would fare in deep waters and snorkeling. Once we saw she could do it we then booked her for a Discover Scuba class. It took up the good part of one afternoon. I wrote about her/our experience Scuba and the 10 year old here.

click on thumbnail to enlarge

Thanks much!.. I think we will try the JP since it seems a little more first-timer friendly. I will leave the experienced scuba-business to master diving 10yo.!
    Countdown till September!

Eva,just so you know the Discover Scuba is done at a pool first ,than you get to do a thirty foot dive.Its allot of fun to dive,but as Lisa said thy the snorkeling first.Enjoy your vaction

JP has been booked!.. thanks for the advice! I will make sure to post pics of our attempt-to-Jacques-Cousteau!
    Countdown till September!