Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donkey Santcuary

Donkey Santcuary

I found this place online and it seems really cool - my son loves animals!!! Has anyone been?

Thumbs up

I wrote a review of our time at the Donkey Santuary here. I highly recommend it as a nice diversion from the beach. They are only open in the morning, but go early before it gets hot.

awesome! Thanks! So, you buy apples at the store and bring them with you?

Quote Originally Posted by gina42801 View Post
    awesome! Thanks! So, you buy apples at the store and bring them with you?
    YES. They sell souvenirs there at the santuary as a way to raise funds, but not apples or carrots.
    Any of the grocery stores sell them.

Last time we went (last November) there was a few apples for sale.
    But like Lisa said go to the grocery store and buy yourself a bag of the cheapest brand (believe me they won't care...)

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    I went last year and I can't wait to go back! At Arubalisa's suggestion I went to the grocery store and bought five lbs of apples and 3 lbs of carrots. Her review is a great guide.

I will only add two things: You can't see the little house from the entrance gate and I didn't know if it was okay to go inside...it is. Just be careful that none of the donkeys get out. (There are actually two gates; walk into one and close it, once it is secure you can then go through the second one and into the enclosure.) Second, the lady who was working there was very concerned about feeding the donkeys right in the yard. She said that some of them get very aggressive seeking food and kick at the other donkeys. Get in the way of one of the kicks and you could be injured. That said, the porch is very open and you are still right there petting the little cuties, it is just safer to be slightly above them.

I hope you like it as much as I did. I actually have some nice video from there. I will try to figure out how to post it to You Tube and then I will post the link (please don't hold your breath on that one! I'm not very tech savvy!!)

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    When we were leaving Aruba 2 years ago I recall being asked by immigration if we had gone to the Donkey Santuary or horse back riding within so many days. We hadn't so we just said no but didn't really understand why they were asking. Is this something we need to do early on in the trip and why do they ask that (or did I dream it)?

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    I'm glad you asked!! Last night as I was trying to put my video together to post, my husband (who doesn't share the same compassion for furry creatures) said something like "I hope you are not planning on going back to see the beasts again this year" to which I replied "of course I am."

At the airport, I answered affirmatively to the livestock question on the immigration form. We were taken out of line to a separate area where we had to give them the shoes we were wore to the sanctuary . They sanitized the bottoms of them and gave them right back. It took less than five minutes and was quite painless. They people in immigration were very nice. The US government just wants to make sure that travelers don't carry any animal diseases into the country.

My advice to you is this: keep whatever shoes you wear to the "animal places" separate (in a grocery bag or something) and this step will be a breeze.

PS: The video is almost ready!

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Thank you for explaining! Now that mention it I do remember people being pulled aside but again, had no idea why.
    Looking forward to seeing your video!

Thanks for all the new info!!! We fly out tomorrow at noon! Cant wait!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast