Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Traceyd14
  • 1 Post By GETA62
  • 1 Post By Jacki
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Fishing Companions

Aruba since 1979

Fishing Companions

Occasionally folks make a posting in this category looking for fishing companions to share a fishing charter boat.

How successful have you been in finding a fishing companion/cost sharer?

We haven't shared but I woukd like to add some words of caution on why we don't. The waters can get very rough. Many people get seasick. We had a mate tell us once that most Americans would not have wanted to continue on one of our trips. Thankfully neither of us gets seasick. When thinking of sharing a charter, consider how your day will go if someone is sick to the point that they cannot continue. I would feel guilty asking unknown companions to cut their trip short if I got sick, and would offer to cover their costs, which defeats the purpose of sharing anyway. In our case, we don't want to go in early because someone we don't really know is sick, so we make the decision not to share charters.
    Another thing to consider is who gets to reel in the fish. We had a trip where we only had 2 bites, fine for just us, but that's a chance you take when sharing that not everyone gets a turn, that's just fishing...could get no bites, could get 20+.
    Also, who gets to keep the fish?
    All of these are things to consider when looking to share a charter with someone who connect with online.

As for boats, Hatts Off Aruba is a great boat with a professional captain and crew.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We haven't shared but I woukd like to add some words of caution on why we don't. The waters can get very rough. Many people get seasick. We had a mate tell us once that most Americans would not have wanted to continue on one of our trips. Thankfully neither of us gets seasick. When thinking of sharing a charter, consider how your day will go if someone is sick to the point that they cannot continue. I would feel guilty asking unknown companions to cut their trip short if I got sick, and would offer to cover their costs, which defeats the purpose of sharing anyway. In our case, we don't want to go in early because someone we don't really know is sick, so we make the decision not to share charters.
    Another thing to consider is who gets to reel in the fish. We had a trip where we only had 2 bites, fine for just us, but that's a chance you take when sharing that not everyone gets a turn, that's just fishing...could get no bites, could get 20+.
    Also, who gets to keep the fish?
    All of these are things to consider when looking to share a charter with someone who connect with online.

As for boats, Hatts Off Aruba is a great boat with a professional captain and crew.
    Agreed with Tracey. We did not share, but went with our friends and all we catch, it was small barracuda.

I think the bottom fishing is more suitable for sharing. People just catching themselves and don't have issues with who keep what.

Sorry I'm going off topic but, Andrea, that's one crazy avatar!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Sorry I'm going off topic but, Andrea, that's one crazy avatar!!!!
    hahahahahaha
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Fishing Companions-2713_85241844438_4384883_n.jpgyes, the horse has flatlined and for those that think i am a horse hater, this is me on Ms Strawberry.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-30-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    oh ya, the topic is fishing