Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By coldsteel337
  • 2 Post By coldsteel337

Thread: fishing in March 2018

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars

fishing in March 2018

Our latest visit will have us on the island from March 10 thru the 24th. I expect to fish at least a few hours each day. I catch barracuda, small pan fish and occasionally a nice sized Bonefish or a baby Tarpon. Typically I fish from daylight thru 9 or 10AM and sometimes at night with balloons. send me a PM if interested in joining me.

Unfortunately we will not be on the island then, but I hope you share your story either during or after your trip. My husband and I both enjoy fishing and would love to read about your tackle, some spots to check out, and of course see pictures of your catch.

I expect to be doing some posts

Hoping to renew some interested in this topic - coldsteel37 - how did you do fishing on your trip? I'll be on the island in September and I'm hoping to do some shore fishing near Divi Beach. I'll be bringing some suspending hard baits and soft plastics. Seems like my chances of catching much from there are slim, but out of convenience that's most likely where I will be early mornings/late evenings. Any insight to help me out would be appreciated!

Brendan, I am posting this a month after your trip. I hope you return to Aruba at some time and can enjoy some interesting fishing. I did not take any pictures of fish this past trip. Most fish i caught were small. I did catch, and release 2 nice Bonefish. One was probably 3 pounds and the other may have been a 5 pounder. I was standing in water about 2 feet deep, with waves while catching both of these and would not take the chance of using my cell phone camera. The 5 pounder actually spit the hook as i was looking down at it trying to reach down to release it. Both of these were in the vicinity of the old rusted wreck. I used a 11 foot, 7wt fly rod with a spinning reel taped to it. I did not fish at Arashi this past trip but spent many hours between Arashi and the lighthouse, using balloons, with a hand line. You can buy the hand line equipment on the island in some of the larger hardware stores and the tackle shop located in the Taki Flip area. The best way to learn is to go in the area of where the snorkel boats go and if you spend some time in the morning or evening, you will find locals who are doing it. Bring them some good quality hooks as a gift and they will teach you alot. I was able to catch some small ( 6 to 10 inch ) fish doing this, as well as a 4 or 5 barracuda. they ranged up to about 4 pounds.