Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Fly Fishing

Just wanted to give anyone who is thinking about fly fishing in Aruba a small tip.
    There is a guy in Aruba who is very much into fly fishing and is testing all the different sites to build experience about fly fishing in Aruba in general, and the good thing is that he is willing to share it with others .
    He has set up this website www.flyfishingaruba.com where you can read a lot and get in contact with him

Fly Fishing Around The Radisson?

Hi all,

I had a very short visit to Aruba this fall and my wife and I are headed back in four weeks. We can't wait! I'm planning to wander the flats around the Radisson where we'll be staying. Do you find any bones, snook or baby tarpon wandering there? Does anyone every throw fly rods in Aruba? Will I need a license? Thanks for any advice!

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.
    Not the best place you picked. Way too many tourists there.
    There are others that are much better.
    No license required.
    Fly fishing can be extremely good, but depends on time of year etc.
    All the mentioned species and more are there.
    This is the guy who knows the most: Laurenz http://www.flyfishingaruba.com
    Remember to use catch and release on all the fish you mentioned.

Tight Lines

Carsten

Thanks for the advice Carsten. You mentioned other spots that are much better. Do you have specifics? Think I might be able to wade at sunrise or sunset and find a few pods of fish worth targeting?

Banned
    I have specifics, but have stoped giving them on forums, as I can see that it is getting misused. But walk past the hotels to the left or right to spots that are more quiet and try there. In general it pays to get one day with a guide and they will give you tips for the whole trips.

Carsten,

No sweat. I appreciate your advice. I'll be bringing down a few of my favorite patterns. Wading shoes needed?

Banned
    or at least beach shoes.

Fly fishing query

I am a cooooold Minnesotan and cannot wait to get down there January 22!

I am also a crazy obsessed fly fisherman. I already have a day set up with Laurenz and have done my homework quite a bit on Aruba and what I need to do and bring down there. However, one can never know too much. So with that said, any more info is highly appreciated. Do you have any suggestions for:
    • where to fish (i am already planning on fishing the beaches early in the day and the malmok beach area)?
    • what flies do you suggest and what sizes?
    • any other pertinent info
    Feel free to private message me instead of putting confidential info on the board should you wish. As stated above, I sincerely appreciate any info at all. Best wishes to anyone who reads this and have a wonderful holiday season!!!

Arrow This will get you started in your research

This will get you started in your research

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/surf%20fishing.html

Banned

Thumbs up

Well you have the most important thing in place: Laurenz at www.flyfishingaruba.com knows everything there is to know about fly fishing here.
    Here are some examples of what I use:
    For Bonefish: crazy charlies and small crabs.
    For Tarpon: small toads, decievers, clousers and gurglers.
    General Beach (Jacks, Cudas etc): Clousers and decievers.
    My personal favorite at the moment (which Laurenz does not like) is Gummy Minnows which you can use for anything.
    I got a Barracuda at Malmok a few hours ago on a Gummy.
    Regarding the sizes, expect the same as you would in the Keys, but keep this in mind: the Tarpon are mainly baby tarpons (normally between 4-40 pounds) and the Bones are illusive but huge.

All of the above is my personal choices, Laurenz might give you different and better advice.

Carsten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast