Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Happy Island - Question re Fish

The Happy Island - Question re Fish

What a gorgeous island! Back from Trip #3. Couldn't have asked for better weather. I travelled solo, so I stuck close to the resort.

I do have a question for you veterans. One day while in the water, there was a fish very close to shore. It was about 2' long and blended in really well. It was hanging out and wasn't aggressive or anything because there were a lot of people in the water. Does anybody know what kind of fish this might be? I don't think I could have even got a pic of it because it blended in so well.

interesting....they say baby sharks hang out close to shore and somewhere on another posting a member posted a picture.....not sure if that was what it was though...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

This is a trumpet fish. Is it it?

Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Tom & Karen, thanks for posting the pic, but that's not the fish I saw. There were no white markings near the tail, and the snout was more like a regular fish snout/head.

I think I know what you are talking about we see them at ren and ren island all the time. Are they kinda clear, blend in with the sand and water? You can see them, usually the eyes and they swim in small schools. I'm not sure what they are, I am sure if you look at an Aruba Tropical fish card you could probably pick it out. Might be a silverside.

http://www.frankosmaps.com/grafixbin...fish_card2.jpg

Thanks, Arubamark for the link to the reef creatures. This fish is definitely not a silverslide. It wasn't in a school, and it was not tiny. As I said, it was about 2' long. Between the ocean movement and this fish blending in, it was difficult to get a really good look at it. It's quite possible it could be a baby shark as someone mentioned. The mystery continues!!

Okay, I think I may have solved this mystery. I saw a pic in someone's gallery of native kids holding a barracuda. I think that's what I saw in the water.

a Barracuda ? Aren't they a little snippy ? I love to see all these fish, but on a snorkel trip or something like that, if i thought these fish were swimming around me in the shallow water, not sure i would be happy about going in, call me chicken

Aruba since 1979
    i am with u kath
    even though i am a diver and a snorkeler.....when i am in the water at the beach........i want to see NO marine life. and the marine life does not want to see me either.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    a Barracuda ? Aren't they a little snippy ? I love to see all these fish, but on a snorkel trip or something like that, if i thought these fish were swimming around me in the shallow water, not sure i would be happy about going in, call me chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am with u kath
    even though i am a diver and a snorkeler.....
    andrea
    When I was snorkeling last month and saw this school of Longfin Pompano coming at me, I thought about swimming the other way. They were about 8 inches long. In a school a little intimidating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast