Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Happy Island - Question re Fish

I've seen some 5' and 6' barracuda off shore, but never one close to the beach. They get a bad rap, they aren't dangerous at all.

okay....now remember I am a new scuba diver and do not need to hear about anything dangerous in the water...that will cancel my scuba diving in aruba fast as can be.....
    see andrea I am such a weenie ...!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

The pic posted by ArubaLisa are the fish I have seen close to shore at Renaissance Island. They are very curious and swim all around you.

Dave and Jodie
    See you in Aruba!!!
    Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    i sit on a 2400 lb for hours on end weekly.
    show me a fish near my feet in the ocean and i retreat to the pool.

i enjoy seeing them while scuba or snorkeling........but not beachfront.
    i am weird.

I agree that it was a barracuda. My husband and I saw a fish fitting your description exactly and he said it was a barracuda. I moved out of the water very quickly but he didn't bother us. He was more interested in the small fish around him.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i sit on a 2400 lb for hours on end weekly.
    show me a fish near my feet in the ocean and i retreat to the pool.

i enjoy seeing them while scuba or snorkeling........but not beachfront.
    i am weird.
    I can't even put a mask on my face...now thats wierd...oh well...So, no snorkeling of any kind for me...
    So, if you're out there post the pictures as thats the only way for me to see the fishies..

Quote Originally Posted by jenn630 View Post
    I agree that it was a barracuda. My husband and I saw a fish fitting your description exactly and he said it was a barracuda. I moved out of the water very quickly but he didn't bother us. He was more interested in the small fish around him.
    Thanks for your post! As I mentioned in my original post, there were a lot of ppl around when I saw it. It kind of hung out for a while, and was gone as quickly as it appeared. What amazed me is how it blended in so well with just water and sand.

Wink bARACUDA

Well I can rest assure you that baracudda's are afraid of a pin dropping. If a baracudda was that close than I am flabbergasted. I snorkel at least 3 x's a week and the only baracuda I have seen is on the rough side and towards the Tamarijn. I swam next to a baracuda and it was astonishing to see it just stay still but as soon as I got my net to capture it , it ran as fast as a bullet.
    As I have said earlier, I snorkel all around the island for all sorts of fish for our aquarium and thank God I never ran into a shark. I would love to swim with a turtle but not yet have I. A dolphin yes and that was exciting. If any of you are interested in snorkeling in afternoon to net fish let me know, I could use the help. It is relaxing and an underwater adventure.....
    Capturing the passion and love of your special day in paradise.
    bellarubaphoto@yahoo.com

Aruba since 1979
    next time in aruba
    i definately would love to go snorkeling with you next time i am on island.
    we can share lots of stories i am sure.

dh says he has seen barracuda at the arashi snorkel site, not far from the beach, about 200yds out.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Munzenhofer View Post
    Well I can rest assure you that baracudda's are afraid of a pin dropping. If a baracudda was that close than I am flabbergasted. I snorkel at least 3 x's a week and the only baracuda I have seen is on the rough side and towards the Tamarijn. I swam next to a baracuda and it was astonishing to see it just stay still but as soon as I got my net to capture it , it ran as fast as a bullet.
    As I have said earlier, I snorkel all around the island for all sorts of fish for our aquarium and thank God I never ran into a shark. I would love to swim with a turtle but not yet have I. A dolphin yes and that was exciting. If any of you are interested in snorkeling in afternoon to net fish let me know, I could use the help. It is relaxing and an underwater adventure.....

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Munzenhofer View Post
    We saw a two foot or so shark when snorkeling off of DePalm Island last year, didn't get a great look to tell the species. Most of the barracuda I've seen were in that area as well. Mostly at the Jane Sea wreck or at the fingers. I really wish I had gone on the other dive boat a year and a half ago so I could have seen the whale shark. One of the few types of large shark that I would actually like to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast