Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers

Exclamation Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers

"Red lionfish threatens local fish species
    15 Sep, 2009, 08:48 (GMT -04:00)
    http://www.amigoe.com/artman/publish/artikel_62505.php

ORANJESTAD — The red lionfish was observed in the Aruban waters for the first time yesterday, said Milton Ponson of institute Rainbow Warriors. He is worried about the consequences for the underwater life as these fish have few if any natural enemies. For example, the fish became a plague within a period of a few years, and has chased away most of the native fish species.

By nature, the fish mainly lives in the waters along East Africa, Indonesia, and Japan up to Australia. The lionfish, which is related to the scorpion fish, has poisonous quills that could inflict very painful injuries when threatened. In general, the fish is not aggressive. It is a night fighter and mainly eats small fishes, shrimps, and crabs."
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

http://www.caribbeanfmc.com/LIONFISH/ALERT%20BULLETIN.pdf

WHAT TO DO?
    "REPORT: If you or someone in your organization notes on this species, we recommend that you report immediately to environmental authorities in your country or locality, indicating date, place, time and approximate number of animals observed. You can also notify any direction from the email list (below).

• Kalli De Meyerkdm@telbonet.an(Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance)
    • Stinapa Director director@stinapa.org (STINAPA Bonaire)
    • Paul Hoetjes paul@mina.vomil.an(Gov. – Netherlands Antilles)
    • Director I M A imadirector@ima.gov.tt Rahanna Juman rjuman@ima."

Lionfish Invasion: Super Predator Threatens Caribbean Coral Reefs
    http://www.oar.noaa.gov/spotlite/archive/2009/articles/lionfish_invasion.html

http://www.caribbeanfmc.com/LIONFISH/lionfish_fishing_flyer.pdf

"The venomous Indo-Pacific ‘Lionfish’is regularly observed in habitats within the southeast region (Florida to North Carolina) and the Bahamas. These fish are not native to Atlantic waters and may have a negative impact on native fish populations. All of their spines are venomous and can cause extreme pain! If stung, immerse wound in hot water and seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Geographic Location and Habitat: Lionfish are native to Indo-Pacific waters and are now being reported primarily by Scuba divers from the Bahamas to Cape Hatteras NC in water depths from 5 to 300 ft on hard bottom, coral reef and artificial substrates. Lionfish can also be caught by hook and line. NOAA requests information about all Lionfish collected by hook and line. Location information such as lat/long, depth and type of bait and tackle are encouraged.

Recommendation: If you catch a lionfish be extremely careful, do not come in contact with the dorsal, anal or ventral spines. If fish must be handled, thick PVC gloves or a gaff is recommended. Please do not throw lionfish back in the water! NOAA is interested in all lionfish specimens and reports. Put lionfish on ice and report any lionfish catches to NOAA at (252) 728-8714 or email reportlionfish@noaa.gov"

These things can destroy the local fish population very quickly. They need to be caught and/or killed when they are seen.

Absolutely, that is exactly why I posted the info.

I found a link to a NOAA poster which on a twist of "dead or alive" listed
    "wanted dead".

Oh great....scare me off scuba diving before I even get the chance to put my fins in the water !!!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

From what I have read today they are more active at night and more afraid you. ...also good tasting. I suppose that comes from consuming prey 2/3 their size.

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Oh great....scare me off scuba diving before I even get the chance to put my fins in the water !!!!!!!
    Not dangerous to people as long as you don't grab them, and you really shouldn't be grabbing any fish while diving. Dangerous to other fish and the overall health of the reef though.

The article in Sport Diver a couple months back was really informative. I'll see if I can track down a web link.

EDK
    We observed the lion fish at Harbor Reef on Sept. 16th. We called our local marine biologist/ govt. agency and we were told to either catch it alive or remove it and bring it to the local authorities. Just keeping you informed.

It is reassuring to know that the authorities are proactive on this issue.

EDK

lion fish

Today one of our instructors with the help of fellow divers captured the lion fish alive. The marine biologist was called and he sent to gentlemen to pick it up. In case you are wondering how it was done, it was with a laundry basket and a mesh bag.

I may bring along one of my large mesh bags

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast