Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers

I killed two lion fish while at Mangle Halto on the hunt day. Go figure my last day i got stung by a scorpion fish and had to go to the hospital. These fish are no joke, they will sting you and it HURTS. My finger and whole arm was swollen and is still swollen. Next time in in Aruba, it's no mercy on these stupid fish. The pain is like nothing I've ever felt, id rather break a bone than get stung again.

Banned
    Thanks for the warning. Just to be clear..Lion Fish are the same as Scorpion Fish? Photo on left listed as Lion Fish...photo on right listed as Scorpion Fish.

Aruba since 1979
    holy mary mother of god if that scorpion fish was near ME..........i would RUN/swim whatever far far away.

i may never enter the ocean, anywhere again ;-)
    :-)
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    they are DIFFERENT

I found this at a website for aquariums.

Lionfish and Scorpionfish
    Lionfish and Scorpionfish belong to the Scorpaenidae family. The genera of available fish include Rhinopias, Scorpaenopsis, Taenianotus, Pterois, and Dendrochirus. These fish are found throughout the world in tropical and temperate waters, and are most commonly associated with coral reefs. These fish are closely related to Sea Robbins and Sculpins. The size of these fish varies, but most members reach an average length of seven inches in an aquarium. The largest member of this family can reach an adult size of over 20 inches in length in the wild.

All members of this family are venomous; they have hollow dorsal (top) spines that are used to deliver toxic venom. The sting from these fish is quite painful, and the reaction to its sting varies among individuals. In the unlikely event that breathing difficulty or vomiting occurs, seek medical help immediately. Lionfish are not usually aggressive toward aquarium owners and most stings result from inattentiveness while cleaning the aquarium.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is a video of a Lion Fish. They look actually very pretty, IMO but cause so much damage as they eat lots of other fish. Lion Fish are NOT supposed to be the Caribbean, who knows how they got there!

LION FISH EATING 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UJbZjRcWc

And there is a video of a Scorpionfish, they look more like a coral or a rock, IMO. Both, Lion Fish and Scorpion Fish are venomous!

Scorpionfish: Marine fishes having a tapering body with an armored head and venomous spines.

ScorpionFish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJhIl-qlWY

Hey April,
    Hope you feel better soon!

I did find the local agency on facebook and sent them a note about the one I saw. If anyone needs their email address, just let me know and I will post it.

Aruba since 1979
    the lionfish eating.............that was fast.
    the scorpion fish............eew she was touching it.

the older i get the scarier things become.

the lionfish is looked on in aruba and the caribbean in the same way the boa constrictor is looked at = they need to be eradicated by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Here is a video of a Lion Fish. They look actually very pretty, IMO but cause so much damage as they eat lots of other fish. Lion Fish are NOT supposed to be the Caribbean, who knows how they got there!

LION FISH EATING 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UJbZjRcWc

And there is a video of a Scorpionfish, they look more like a coral or a rock, IMO. Both, Lion Fish and Scorpion Fish are venomous!

Scorpionfish: Marine fishes having a tapering body with an armored head and venomous spines.

ScorpionFish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOJhIl-qlWY

Hey April,
    Hope you feel better soon!

Scorpion fish are related to lionfish, they have more toxic venom than the lion. They are ugly fish that blend with the coral and sand. 3 days later and my hand is still swollen. Not fun.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    This is a great link! And I find the map on it fascinating! And shocking at the same time. It shows how fast the Lionfish population grew and where it originated.

I had read about this Lionfish problem in "The Morning News" a few months ago. And your link refreshed my memory: those Lionfish originate from the Pacific. And entered the Atlantic/Caribbean from Florida. As there are no natural enemies, they multiply like crazy and destroy so many other fishes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast