Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers

Aruba since 1979
    it is too bad that something so beautiful can be so terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Three large ones on the reef at the fingers, just outside Mangel Halto. The largest one was around a foot long and absolutely beautiful.

wow, they took over 1000 lionfish in one day according to the pics that were posted on facebook.

Smile

I hope I am not out of line here but my last trip, I got certified and we seen up to 9 lionfish on 1 dive. I don't see many snorkeling but we see them on every dive. They want us to kill them so we take a small stabber and kill everyone we see. They actually serve lionfish in Curacell to eat. So we took 4 of them back to the room and fried them up. They were really good but the stickers on them are very dangerous. They said a live one could sting you and kill you. I was carring a dead one back to my place and was going to put him on ice. One of the sharp points barely touch the end of my fingure and brought a very small amount of blood. Just like a thorn poking you. The lionfish was dead for several hours so I never thought anything. My fingure swelled up and sterted to throb like I slammed it in a car door. I took 3 advil and then 3 more and by 1:30 am I had to go to the ER room. The gave me some pain pills and told me to soak it in warm water. We now only kill them and let them on the bottom of the sea. We do not mess with bringing them back because we found out the hard way. They are the prettiest fish I have ever seen but very deadly.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    congrats on your SCUBA certification.

that must have hurt so BADLY! ouch!!!
    in aruba, are you allowed to wear gloves while snorkeling or SCUBA?
    some places do not allow divers to wear gloves.

i will post your lionfish photos as thumbnails. thx

Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    I hope I am not out of line here but my last trip, I got certified and we seen up to 9 lionfish on 1 dive. I don't see many snorkeling but we see them on every dive. They want us to kill them so we take a small stabber and kill everyone we see. They actually serve lionfish in Curacell to eat. So we took 4 of them back to the room and fried them up. They were really good but the stickers on them are very dangerous. They said a live one could sting you and kill you. I was carring a dead one back to my place and was going to put him on ice. One of the sharp points barely touch the end of my fingure and brought a very small amount of blood. Just like a thorn poking you. The lionfish was dead for several hours so I never thought anything. My fingure swelled up and sterted to throb like I slammed it in a car door. I took 3 advil and then 3 more and by 1:30 am I had to go to the ER room. The gave me some pain pills and told me to soak it in warm water. We now only kill them and let them on the bottom of the sea. We do not mess with bringing them back because we found out the hard way. They are the prettiest fish I have ever seen but very deadly.

Aruba since 1979

Lionfish

photos courtesy of Kent
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers-getattachment.aspx.jpeg   Lionfish: Attention Divers & Snorkelers-getattachment.aspx.jpg  

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kent View Post
    I hope I am not out of line here but my last trip, I got certified and we seen up to 9 lionfish on 1 dive. I don't see many snorkeling but we see them on every dive. (...)
    That's scary. I do hope none of these get close to me while I'm snorkeling.

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

I was there for 9 weeks and never seen one snorkeling. Just diving. You have to realize you can stay clear of them but we have cameras and we want to get as close as we can and then we kill them because thats what they want us to do. I seen some lionfish the size as a 50 cent piece. Those are really small.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Andrea, thanks for posting the pics of Stuart and the lion fish.
    You are allowed to wear gloves in Aruba and YES, that did hurt!!!!

Angry VERY very sad

Just posted by a Curacao dive instructor on FB

lion fish everywhere... EVERYWHERE!!
    about an hour ago near Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles

My buddy and I just did a dive 4 hours ago on Aruba and we killed 12 lion fish in 1 dive, They are all over. I have never seen them that thick. We don't see them snorkeling but they are thick when you dive. They are nastey!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast