Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dino024

Thread: Need help with idenitfying these fish while Snorkeling around Boca Catalina

Need help with idenitfying these fish while Snorkeling around Boca Catalina

My wife and I just came back from are 4th trip to Aruba... While snorkeling around Boca Catalina I came across of group of 6 fish (long thick and saw dorsal fins) here is my youtube video link

https://youtu.be/721upTzG4SU

Used a GoPro 4 Silver 1080P 60FPS Wide

Im thinking their Barracuda but a 100% sure, I did come across a Barracuda right off the pier from the resort! You can see that video in my other videos.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Google "Caribbean trumpetfish" vs. Barracuda. I don't believe the fish in this video are as tall as a Barracuda.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 07-04-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum and my husband and i agree with lisa.
    they look like trumpetfish.

you love your go pro????

Quote Originally Posted by dino024 View Post
    My wife and I just came back from are 4th trip to Aruba... While snorkeling around Boca Catalina I came across of group of 6 fish (long thick and saw dorsal fins) here is my youtube video link

https://youtu.be/721upTzG4SU

Used a GoPro 4 Silver 1080P 60FPS Wide

Im thinking their Barracuda but a 100% sure, I did come across a Barracuda right off the pier from the resort! You can see that video in my other videos.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Thank you for the welcome :-) and yes I love the gopro 4 silver, at first i bought the gopro 3 and was not happy with the video resolution and quality so I spent the extra 100.00 and it was well worth it...

As to the video, Ive seen Trumpetfish before in Aruba but ive never seen them that thick in circumference and that long. I know Trumpetfish are usually found in shallow water and that was in about 15 feet of water but I definitely see the argument being made for Trumpetfish. If you look up my other videos you will see the video where im snorkeling off the resort pier and following a trunkfish and came 3 feet away from a Barracuda going by me (link below) barracuda comes in at 5mins24sec.

Thanks for the help, im gonna change the title of the video... Happy 4th of July!!!!

https://youtu.be/RtSGGSzBInc
    Last edited by dino024; 07-04-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: ad

Quote Originally Posted by dino024 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome :-) and yes I love the gopro 4 silver, at first i bought the gopro 3 and was not happy with the video resolution and quality so I spent the extra 100.00 and it was well worth it...
    I just bought a HERO+LCD for our trip ticking away below. It's not quite a silver but I think it should exceed our job performance expectations from recent practice use at the pool. The only time I notice resolution issues are from edited videos zoomed in quite close.

Those are the needle nose fish. We see a lot of them. They look like a small barracuda.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Welcome to the Aruba.com community forum! Great videos! Thanks for sharing!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ