Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Off Roading Story and HELP!

Off Roading Story and HELP!

Hey Everyone!

For my upcoming 12th trip to Aruba, I want to attempt exploring the natural side of the island again. I used to drive all the way down to baby beach and work my way up the entire island. One year doing this, I got lost, and sadly totaled the Jeep. (Tires got popped, engine seized.) It was a NIGHTMARE! This was during the time Aruba started to develop Arinok Park by redoing roads, etc. I got lost in the park and could NOT find my way out. Ended up driving in circles and was getting ready to have to call for help. LUCKILY, I saw a pick up truck filled with locals who were beyond nice to help me get out of the park.

Anyway, my point of this post ...

I have severe anxiety off-roading again, but I really love that side of the island and it is a lot of fun. I am taking a friend this year who has never been on that side (only his 2nd visit). Have the roads in Arinok improved? I am debating on not doing the entire island and just focusing on starting where the Natural Bridge is/was, and working my way up towards the lighthouse. I have looked into going on tours, but frankly they don't impress me much. I am more a do my own thing kind of person and a lot of the stops on the tours I don't care for.

Any info or advice would be amazing!

Thanks,
    Chris

Aruba since 1979
    chris

communicate with KINI KINI
    they get good reviews
    they may meet your needs (even though a tour)

http://www.kinikinitours.com/index.p...d=23&Itemid=19

they do atv and jeep tours
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNYC83 View Post
    Hey Everyone!

For my upcoming 12th trip to Aruba, I want to attempt exploring the natural side of the island again. I used to drive all the way down to baby beach and work my way up the entire island. One year doing this, I got lost, and sadly totaled the Jeep. (Tires got popped, engine seized.) It was a NIGHTMARE! This was during the time Aruba started to develop Arinok Park by redoing roads, etc. I got lost in the park and could NOT find my way out. Ended up driving in circles and was getting ready to have to call for help. LUCKILY, I saw a pick up truck filled with locals who were beyond nice to help me get out of the park.

Anyway, my point of this post ...

I have severe anxiety off-roading again, but I really love that side of the island and it is a lot of fun. I am taking a friend this year who has never been on that side (only his 2nd visit). Have the roads in Arinok improved? I am debating on not doing the entire island and just focusing on starting where the Natural Bridge is/was, and working my way up towards the lighthouse. I have looked into going on tours, but frankly they don't impress me much. I am more a do my own thing kind of person and a lot of the stops on the tours I don't care for.

Any info or advice would be amazing!

Thanks,
    Chris

Hi Chris,
    I just got back from Aruba a month ago. I rented a Suzuki APV (minivan - small and low clearance) for the 2 weeks I was there. I took the Suzuki every where but the Natural Pool. I rode from the Natural Bridge up to the California Lighthouse and did not have any problems. I did take it nice and easy because it is not an off road vehicle. I was mainly concerned about popping a tire or damaging something under neath if I hit a rock. I stayed on the main paths and did not attempt to go through any sandy areas. I paid close attention for any rocks in the paths. The only issue that I had was the Suzuki was filthy by the time we reached the lighthouse. BTW, I took it to a car wash in front of the Super Foods and they cleaned it. A few days later, I went back out to do some geocaching near the Tierra del Sol golf course and the wishing rock garden and I had to get the guys to wash it again. If you take it slow and easy over the established paths, you should not have any trouble, especially if you rent a Jeep. I rented a Jeep from More 4 Less ($125/day) for a day to go to the Natural Pool. Hope this helps,
    Dexter

the best thing to do is take a tour......especially since it can be really tough getting to places like the natural pool....which is a must...great swimming in a beautiful atomsphere
    you also avoid the problem of getting lost...although you can't get really lost it still can be frustrating......have fun and take lots of pictures !!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Around 10 to 15 years back I took Eagle tours (I think, I know Eagle was in the name). They seemed to push into the most remote areas, alas, they have been gone for many years now. As I am going this year with people who have never been to the island before, I'd be interested in some good experiences and recommendations.

Aruba since 1979
    i recommend checking out this category, even going back a few pages to read numerous threads.

although i have never taken part...........kini kini gets good reviews
    http://www.kinikinitours.com

another place for atvs is Georges.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Around 10 to 15 years back I took Eagle tours (I think, I know Eagle was in the name). They seemed to push into the most remote areas, alas, they have been gone for many years now. As I am going this year with people who have never been to the island before, I'd be interested in some good experiences and recommendations.