Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Please be careful snorkeling

Never been there. Are there warnings posted about the dangers?

Aruba since 1979
    i can't say if i ever noticed signage around the baby beach stating rules/regs/warnings.

once a person enters the water, the area between the rocks and beyond the seawall is very visible.

folks must be made aware.

if this forum helps make at least someone aware~~ great!.

Quote Originally Posted by cooliecanpro View Post
    Never been there. Are there warnings posted about the dangers?

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    I don't remember seeing any signs but our guide with Green Zebra told us before he let any of us hit the water.
    And like Andrea said, if those reading it here can spread the word and it saves someone...great!
    Don't be afraid to stop someone if you are there and see someone heading out too far. If they go anyway at least you know you warned them.

I too had an incident at Baby Beach last year. It was not a particularly nice day and it had been raining. The current was a little rough. I was being pulled in the opposite direction. I am not a great swimmer and I think I did panic. When I got back to shore I was exhausted! I may visit Baby Beach again but only snorkel if the weather and the current are good.

We go out to BB every year to snorkel, we usually have beginners with us and we make a point to tell them not to get too close to the seawater opening,,,,,have been close myself and the current can be strong....

Sad this had to even be a discussion on the forum, but glad that is being talked about so others can heed the warning...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Baby Beach Problems

On the http://www.awe24.com/ web site there was another problem at Baby Beach. A few days ago a man drowned.

What is going on down there?
    Has something changed.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    i am not sure if anything has changed at baby beach.
    what i do know is that folks continue to snorkel past the breakwater area, where the currents are fierce.
    folks seem to over estimate their abilities and just "go for it".

another thing and i do not know if it is related to this drowning...... but folks at beaches here in the usa, aruba and all over the world; drink to excess on the beach and then enter the water. it is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    On the http://www.awe24.com/ web site there was another problem at Baby Beach. A few days ago a man drowned.

What is going on down there?
    Has something changed.

Smile

I am a good swimmer so I have gone past the break several times at baby beach because thats where the snorkling gets good. I go out and then swim with the current till I get to the next inlet and there is a few times the current was so strong that you just about can't get in where you want. My buddy and his son got swepted past and headed to the rocks down farther. They made it back ok but I don't think they will ever forget about that. It can look so nice but mother nature can take over. Thats why I won't snorkle baby beach anymore unless I have my friend along with me. Its called a underwater scooter! Kent
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Hi Kent:

Good for you! Often times, even though folks know that something or some place is very dangerous; they get that "adventure urge," and the results end up worse than they could ever imagine.

Just my opinion.

Ed
    Last edited by Edronenburg; 11-01-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: words left out

It is awful for the families/friends involved in such tragedies. It doesn't matter how strong of a swimmer you are, the ocean and mother nature ALWAYS wins.

Our local (Aruban) friends have warned us over and over about that area at Baby Beach, they would never go out there. And we never have and never will.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast