Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about tours/activites and prices

Questions about tours/activites and prices

Right, Please bear with me, this is a bit complicated.

I have booked 2 weeks with my OH and 13 year old daughter at Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive Suites At Divi Dutch Village. We arrive on 31 July.

I have been looking at the holiday companies website and have seen that they sell (well they would wouldn't they) excursions. It seems to me that their prices are a bit high though, so I'd appreciate your comments /suggestions for alternative ways to book some of these. They sound fun, but as they consider our 13 year old to be an adult for the purposes of booking, and as the UK pound is currently at $1.44 I think I'd be better off using a local company for some of these.

Anyway here are what they have on offer. The prices are all listed as "from...and are per person so it would be times 3 for us.

Jeep Safari (full Day) off the beaten track £64.50

Jeep Safari to Baby Beach (full day) £64.50

Depalm Island by boat (full day) £47.99

Sunset Cruise (Afternoon/Evening) £33.50

Palm Pleasure (Half Day/Morning) £46.99

Island Tour with Palm Island (Full Day) £60.50

Fantasia Cruise Dinner on the beach (evening) £75.99

As you can see, even doing a few of these can really add up when you multiply by 3 then by 1.44 to get a US Dollar amount. I'm sure a local company could do it better for less, but need your imput.

As an aside, as a retired US Navy I do have US Dollars to use, so can avoid the cost of changing pounds into dollars....(Every little bit helps).

We've been looking forward to this holiday for a long time. We usually go to Greece or Turkey for our summer break, but I've been scheming to get this for about 3 years....we actually booked last November.

Hope to meet a lot of the folks on here when we get there.##

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us.

Cheers,

Greg

Aruba since 1979
    from what i understand by reading the listing is that all of these tours are DEPALM tours.

would you be willing to substitute companies?

is there something you REALLY want to do? is it on the list?

ex: if you want to go to baby beach it may be cheaper for you to rent a car for the day or 2 and go on your own.

if you want to go on an island tour with bully or with cerry, it will cost you about $40 - $45 per hour not per person and they give great tours.

if you want to go on a snorkel sail or sunset sail try jolly pirate or tranquilo.

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankeeuk View Post
    Right, Please bear with me, this is a bit complicated.

I have booked 2 weeks with my OH and 13 year old daughter at Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive Suites At Divi Dutch Village. We arrive on 31 July.

I have been looking at the holiday companies website and have seen that they sell (well they would wouldn't they) excursions. It seems to me that their prices are a bit high though, so I'd appreciate your comments /suggestions for alternative ways to book some of these. They sound fun, but as they consider our 13 year old to be an adult for the purposes of booking, and as the UK pound is currently at $1.44 I think I'd be better off using a local company for some of these.

Anyway here are what they have on offer. The prices are all listed as "from...and are per person so it would be times 3 for us.

Jeep Safari (full Day) off the beaten track £64.50

Jeep Safari to Baby Beach (full day) £64.50

Depalm Island by boat (full day) £47.99

Sunset Cruise (Afternoon/Evening) £33.50

Palm Pleasure (Half Day/Morning) £46.99

Island Tour with Palm Island (Full Day) £60.50

Fantasia Cruise Dinner on the beach (evening) £75.99

As you can see, even doing a few of these can really add up when you multiply by 3 then by 1.44 to get a US Dollar amount. I'm sure a local company could do it better for less, but need your imput.

As an aside, as a retired US Navy I do have US Dollars to use, so can avoid the cost of changing pounds into dollars....(Every little bit helps).

We've been looking forward to this holiday for a long time. We usually go to Greece or Turkey for our summer break, but I've been scheming to get this for about 3 years....we actually booked last November.

Hope to meet a lot of the folks on here when we get there.##

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us.

Cheers,

Greg

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/ThingstoDo/activities.aspx
    click the link

the menu on the left will offer you options
    land
    water
    etc... activities.
    click and read away.

also, do not be too quick to book anything.
    you will be at the tamarijn
    it may be hard pulling you and yours off the beach.

Not sure what we'll be doing. THe oh is an avid scuba diver and both she and our daughter like to snorkel. We would like to get out and about and see the "real" island, and meet some of the locals. WE hate to just sit in the resort with the other tourists we flew in with. Okay, we're all inclusive, but that was more to lock in our costs, but I almost always don't book with the tour operater. They seem to always be high. I expect it's because they feel they have a captive market there.

Appreciate the suggestion about Bully....I have already decided that if we want to do a day tour we will check him out.

Any suggestions on diving/snorkeling trips? I would probably go along but just for the boat ride. You can't keep an old sailor off the water if there is a chance to go!

Aruba since 1979
    i would suggest jolly pirates...your daughter will love it.
    or
    suggest tranquilo, but your daughter may find it too "tranquil".

consider renting a car for a few days.
    you will be able to explore on your own and really have some fun.

on the search menu on left side of this page, enter catalina cove and you will see a bunch of postings come up with talk of that site. makes for a great morning trip and it is just a short ride up past the hi rise hotels...

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=530559
    your eyes will be blurred from reading these threads.

Greg, are you restricted to only De Palm excursions? There are numerous "mom and pop" operators for most of the tours you mentioned. http://www.aruba.com/ThingstoDo/activities.aspx

Since you are staying at an all inclusive and looking to watch your £'s skip the dinner cruise. Why pay extra to eat when you have already paid to eat at your resort? If you want a sunset dinner, have snacks at Pizza per Tutti at happy hour or book a table at the Red Parrot at 6:30 pm, requesting a beachside table.

A full day tour is VERY long. Our then 13 yo gets bored even doing half day and bringing along her Nintendo DS. Have you considered renting a car for 1 - 3 days and doing your sightseeing on your own and then maybe shopping or snorkeling? If anything, if your dd is adventurous, look into a 4 x 4 tour.

The day on De Palm Island is expensive indeed. You can eat and drink for "free" at your resort and snorkel up on the northwest coast (Boca Catalina, Catalina Cove) of the island using the snorkel gear from the Tamarijn. Beaches are public (free) so it will only coast you transportation to get there. If you are bicyclists, the Tamarijn through their all inclusive, offers a weekly bike ride up to Boca Catalina. They cycle up there with snacks and beverages, snorkel and then ride back.

If you do decide to go through De Palm Tours for all your tours, wait until you get to the Divi. The Divi concierges will be able to give you all the details for each individual tour. If you decide to book on your own you can do so either online or via telephone once on the island. Keep in mind Divi/Tamarijn charges for local calls. Many of the "mom and pop" operators offer discounts for booking in advance online.

Our dd's favorite excursions have been the day sail on Tranquilo and the Jolly Pirates. We did the lunch cruise for JP's to get off the beach for the day, but you can do the tour later in the day without lunch and just eat before you leave the resort.

If you have any other specific questions, please let us know.

Andrea and I think a like, she types quicker.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling.html

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/boca%20catalina.html

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/jolly%20pirates.html

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/tranquilo.html

From some of my previous trip reports:

Snorkeling Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove
    There is something about this spot that I love. First off the entry is easy at Boca Catalina. Snorkeling here on your own, rather than with an excursion, you can go where you wish and spend as long as you like. The water here is fairly shallow and this trip I saw a good variety of fish as well as sea urchins and various colors of sponges. My favorite, and a very beautiful fish, was a Triggerfish who played “hide and seek”. The Longfin Pompanos were awesome and graceful as well. There were no turtles around on the days I have ever snorkeled there, but there are many reports of sightings. I have directions on how to get to Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove
    here.

Jolly Pirates Review Dd on rope swing

Our Jolly Pirates Photos

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    There are coupon books all over the island. When you get there hunt some down and go thru them. We saved $10 on one of the excursions we did (Green Zebra).
    I agree with Lisa and Andrea - rent a car - or you can go just about anywhere on the bus and that's super cheap. You can pick up the bus across from the Tam.

Thanks all for the suggestions.....Being an old yankee I HATE to spend money I don't need to. I like the idea of Mom & Pop tours....I'd rather help out a local business than an international conglomerate.

Not too sure of renting a car. The only experiances I have had is in Turkey and Greece where it is NOT recommended. To start with the require you leave your passport as a "deposit" against damages....and then you have to pay whatever they say the costs of damages are in order to get it back, else you just don't leave.

This holiday has been my dream for several years...Looking forward to itr so much, especially as we are in the process of selling our home and buying another. NOT looking forward to another move. 14 in the 21 years I was in the Navy are enough for me.

Hope to meet you all while I'm on the island.

It's a pity that the cost of flights and the fact that we'd lose a day on connections coming and going means we can't be regular visitors....Direct flights from the UK are not available, except as part of a package tour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast