Aruba Beach

Thread: Rancho Daimari

Rancho Daimari

Has anyone been horseback riding with them lately? They have a ride that goes to the natural pool, and it looks great!

Thanks for any tips!

I would not recommend horseback riding to the natural pool! My experience was that the horses were very wild. I was bucked off in rock and broke my tailbone. The guides did not seem very concerned, even yelled at me to get up telling me that I was ok.

Alto Vista Chapel, Renaissance Island, Arashi Beach

Thumbs down Rancho Damairi

I am so sorry about your accident! We had won a horseback tour a couple years back. Had no idea that we were going to be climbing steep peaks laden with rocky paths! One girl started screaming and then her horse went nuts. Luckily, I was able to turn my horse around so she didn't get spooked. Said a lot of Hail Marys and let the horse do her thing. Figured she did this for a living and would get me through it. The run through the sand on the beach was wonderful, but the natural pool was nothing special. I even skinned my knee on the slimy rocks. The free beverages turned out to be from a cooler with opened two liter bottles and paper cups. Glad we had water with us.

Once the horses knew they were going back to the ranch they started to bolt. This was not a ride for beginners! When the guide returned to the ranch, he almost demanded a tip from all.

I would not recommend this place. Safety is key in a foreign country!

Next Aruba trip in

I was in Aruba last week and went riding with Rancho Damairi- had a wonderful time! We did the morning ride to the natural pool - it was fantastic! I am glad I did not see these other posts before I went, I probably would have cancelled.

Sorry you didnt enjoy yourself - hopefully it will be better next time.

After more than a few years' experience at more than one of the ranches, somehow, I'm not surprised to hear this.
    Rancho Daimari.... I don't know. I wouldn't ride there personally.

We've been going to Rancho La Ponderosa for over 5 years, and never a complaint. I don't know if it's because my Lady and I are actual riders or what, but we've never had a problem with any of the horses or guides at La Ponderosa (though I do remember a certain over-protective guide that was, well, over-protective, until he realized that we knew what we were doing).

One of the biggest problems that the guides face is new riders not being completely honest about their experience.
    For goodness sake, if you're not a rider, don't tell them you've been riding all your life, and if you're a real beginner, tell them that too. They want to see you have a wonderful and memorable time out on that Aruba landscape. There's nothing they dislike more than seeing us have a crappy time. After all, we're their livelihood.

* Note
    A) Wear long pants. Both for the wonderful sunshine and for the possibility of having a leg whipping by a horsetail. Owww.
    B) Don't forget sunscreen!!! It's going to get real sunny out there, and you won't realize how fast the backs of your hands will get burnt. Honest. I see it happen every single year. (No, not me...)
    C) By all means take a camera, but don't make it a real expensive one. If you let the horse open up and run, well, you'll either get a lot of bouncy weird photos, or you MAY lose your lenscap, or you may just lose the camera. Just a word of warning.
    (No, I haven't done any of the above by the way....)

Have a great time on the ponies, and be careful

Mr. Ratt
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 21, 2017, unless that lottery ticket hits.

Aruba since 1979
    also too

ASK if the ranch provides helmets before you pay for the ride.
    if there are NO helmets, do not ride.