Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Running across the island

Running across the island

Is it possible to run across the island?

I'm visiting in July for five days and was wondering if it's possible to run from the northermost point in Arashi to the southermost point near Seroe Colorado.

Is there enough space on the streets and roads for a runner? Is it safe?

I would plan to run in the early morning to make a little easier with the heat and traffic but was wondering if this was even possible.

It's about 22 miles and I would have a friend drive a car to support me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Aruba since 1979
    the road along the "eagle section" (he section right beyond tamarijn and to the valero station at the cruise terminal) is heavily traveled with autos/vehicles, so real caution must be taken there.......unless you go some back roads behind lots of commercial properties/businesses. then, on the south of the airport, where the road is sort of like a highway and some hills, much caution needs to be taken thru there because of vehicles.

yes it can be done and early in the morning is the best time due to heat/humidity.

welcome to the aruba.com community forum

Also see Running trails

Wow...that is a big task you have given yourself....do-able but be careful, takes lots of water...even early in the morning is a killer with heat and humidity !!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

I'd say its very possible to run the length of the island, if you are a very experienced runner. The biggest problem you might have is your friend driving the car at a very slow speed. The roads are very narrow and the islanders drive similar to Massachusetts drivers. ( Very Aggressive ) I'd try to get a detailed road map and try to take as many side streets as possible.
    Good Luck, Enjoy Aruba

I wouldn't go through the Oranjestad area. Coming from the California lighthouse, I would take 2 to 4 and then along the main road to baby beach. 3 to 2 to 4 would work as well and may be shorter. Download google maps and play around with the distance calculator and see what works best for you. The will be more elevation change as you work inland, so keep that in mind.

Not trying to hijack but I'm looking at doing something similar when I visit on an upcoming cruise. I'm instead looking to take a taxi to the Rock formations of Ayo and from there running through Arikok National park to Dos Playa then back to the cruise terminal. Other than the potential issue with rattlesnakes and the listed traffic near the port any concerns?

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the forum

i think rattlesnakes are not an issue, or maybe not a big issue
    will you be staying on the road of the arikok or running off road?
    the snakes know better than to be on the road

issues.........cars/traffic and dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
    Not trying to hijack but I'm looking at doing something similar when I visit on an upcoming cruise. I'm instead looking to take a taxi to the Rock formations of Ayo and from there running through Arikok National park to Dos Playa then back to the cruise terminal. Other than the potential issue with rattlesnakes and the listed traffic near the port any concerns?

Thank you for the reply Andrea!

I will try to remain off-road as much as possible and based the route on the map from the park's website.

Tentative plan is to run from the Rock formations down 6 to the entrance then along the Rooi Tambu Trail to Dos Playa then down to Boca Prina and to Fontein Cave then back along Root Prins Trail and to Sero Jamanota.

If I have extra time (or other suggestions) I may also hit Cunucu Arikok, Sero Arikok, and Sero Cabai.

The only real concern based on the earlier posts is the run from the entrance back to the cruise port. I only have Google maps as a point of reference which has me running along 7 for the majority of the run. I'm planning on running approximately 26km

Thank you very much for the information. Mangopaco I will provide feedback to you after my trip in April!

paul...good luck...as we said...becareful of traffic, islanders are a bit aggressive and you need to hydrate troughout the run....as well as having plenty of sunscreen on....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast