Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running in Aruba

Running in Aruba

I will be on vacation with my family the end of September. I am also training for the NYC marathon. Does anyone know of any (safe) running trails in Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    most of the runners that i have seen run the beach and road area from the costa linda all the way up to marriott

another good running spot for those that are seriously training (like you) is from the holiday inn to the california lighthouse and back.

enjoy
    andrea

We were in Aruba in March, a friend of our was training for the London Marathon, he was running from Divi Village to the light house depending if it was a long run or short, then off to downtown, sometime pass the airport and back, that would of been his 2 3/4 hours run. He would start at 5:30 am before the heat.
    He did run the 1/2 marathon in Aruba on March 15th, came in 1st in his category over 55 year old!!!
    Wish you luck in NY!!!

Banned
    My swimming pool with a 7/7 or in my boat with a fishing rod looking in at Malmok.

Thumbs up

My wife runs on Aruba all the time. (I got a car).

Generally along the coast all the way from the airport to the lighthouse is safe and used for running in general.

In residential areas = inland and south of the airport, you will face the only downside to the Paradise, which is the loose dogs. They do not like runners, bikers and quads.
    You can still run there, but you need to carry a big stick. You would normally not use it, but the dogs knows what a big stick is and will normally keep its distance.

If you feel like getting a more natural scenary, you can run on the "rough" side of the island by going past the lighthouse, following the rocky coast.
    You will have a completely different scenery and no crowds at all, but remember to bring a lot of water as there are no place to buy or steal any.
    If you run out there you should plan to run out and then back past the lighthouse, unless you find a big stick to run through the residential areas back to the hotels.

Keep on running

Carsten

Aruba since 1979
    your comment about the dogs is really true.
    runners going thru the neighborhoods would be taking their lives in their hands due to the presence of loose dogs.

Depending on where you stay the run from any hotel to the lighthouse is great.

"Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was ever going somewhere, I was running!"

Forrest Gump

Aruba running is great...get out early though...unless you like the desert heat. Remember one side of Aruba is like a dry desert...but the scenery is awesome.
    Try www.mapmyrun.com to get the full mileage count...from hotel to the lighthouse and back. For instance, from the Hyatt to the Lighthouse and back is ~8 miles.
    Good luck at the NYC Marathon.

Thanks everyone. I actually planned my long runs for the day before I left and the day after I got home last year. Hit the treadmill otherwise. Thanks for the link Pete. That will come in handy this year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast