Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running in Aruba

Running in Aruba

Need to run long...have run from Aruba Beach Club to Lighthouse and back which is nice, but want to see more of the island.

If I run the "wild"side of the island...am I safe? Is it easy to get lost? Looked on MapMyRun and mapped out a run from ABC inland, and up 4 to 2 to Alto Vista Chapel and then along the coast reaching the Ostrich Farm and then back through the city back to the ABC...is this safe?

The other run would be up to the Light House and then back along the "wild" coast to the Alto Vista Chapel.

But again the biggest concern is safety and getting lost. How easy is it to miss your dirt path when trying to get back inland from the "wild" side?

Thanks.

As to safety, loose dogs could be an issue.

It is difficult to get lost in Aruba as long as you follow the sun westward back towards the leeward side of the island. If you are north of Oranjestad, westward will bring you directly towards the resorts.

Approx. 23 miles from the Aruba Beach Club circuiting the coastline to the Natural Bridge and then back westward to the ABC via the inland route.

As you know, once you get past the lighthouse it will be all dirt paths/road. Heading in land from the natural bridge you will pick up a paved road.

Running in Aruba

I did see comments about loose dogs in some prior posts. So I would assume that you might suggest avoiding the housing areas of the island to remove the loose dog probability.

Can you tell me whether along the major routes 2, 3, 4, 6...are these not really highways but with many scatterings of homes along the major roads and thus probable dogs?

I thought maybe to run from ABC to Hooiberg (sp) and back but again perhaps I still have the dog problem...maybe maybe the inner part of the island really isn't much to see anyway and it is best to stay along the hotel line and in the "wild" part of the island.
    Last edited by dean262; 02-01-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: angry face in the title

Honestly, even in the countryside "cunucu" you will encounter goats and dogs.

Personally, I would go with the advice at

Bicycling Update
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44;148775[SIZE=2
    ]Unfortunately, I have to advise against bicycling in Aruba in more rural areas. After more than four years enjoying my rides along back roads to avoid traffic and enjoy the scenery, I finally encountered that one pack of dogs that decided to do more than bark. Normally they just bark at you until you pass by on the road and leave you alone. This time, a particularly aggressive mutt put his teeth on my ankle.[/SIZE] The ensuing crash was not too bad, but the dog continued his aggression. Big mistake for him. He won't soon forget that drubbing. Hopefully he learned his lesson and told his pals.

Thus, if you're going to ride a bicycle, stick to areas nearer the hotels or elsewhere that has no dogs. And be prepared for combat. If you have children, pick another activity.

To my Aruba friends... what's the point of your collared dogs off the leash? They don't protect your property, they're a menace to others, and can be down right dangerous? What if a child or lady walking along was attacked?

Bon dia.

The numbered roads you referred to are more or less what we consider here in the U.S. to be major roadways. The Road 1 which runs north/south on the westside of the island is about as close as you would get to a highway in Aruba. In some sections it is a 4 lane roadway.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.
    loose dogs are indeed an issue for runners.

if i were a runner (and i am not) and i were going to run, i would run the hotel area lo rise to hi rise along, the shore route .

or up past marriott towards the lighthouse.
    Quote Originally Posted by dean262 View Post
    I did see comments about loose dogs in some prior posts. So I would assume that you might suggest avoiding the housing areas of the island to remove the loose dog probability.

Can you tell me whether along the major routes 2, 3, 4, 6...are these not really highways but with many scatterings of homes along the major roads and thus probable dogs?

I thought maybe to run from ABC to Hooiberg (sp) and back but again perhaps I still have the dog problem...maybe maybe the inner part of the island really isn't much to see anyway and it is best to stay along the hotel line and in the "wild" part of the island.

I've posted this before . . . for those who enjoy running, jogging, walking . . . PLEASE stay clear off the paved road of LG Smith Boulevard between the Marriott and the turn to the lighthouse (for your own safety). Seriously, I am surprised no one has been "picked off" by drivers enjoying the view of the beautiful sea and not watching the road ahead. I have found it difficult to see joggers dressed in dark clothing at dusk / sunset with the lack of street lighting on that stretch . . . just be safe!
    Last edited by mmattalo; 02-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.

jtm
    I ran in Aruba along the main road using a Satellite watch - I just did 2.5 away from the hotel and back twice for a 10 miler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12