Aruba Beach

Thread: Running in Aruba

Running in Aruba

We are headed to Aruba next weekend and I am training for a 1/2 marathon. I will likley run on the beach a lot, but will need at at least a couple of long road runs...any help you can give about places to run will help. I run very early in the morning to avoid traffic, but I assume Aruba will be like most islands....not great routes to run. Thanks1

Aruba since 1979
    i have a friend that runs from the caribbean palm village to alto vista chapel every day.
    there is a long (1/3 MILE) somewhat steep hill.

A word of caution.......check out your running route first. It is not unusual to meet up with the odd pack of dogs on some of the roads. They are not always that friendly. ( My backside can attest to their speed and attitude)

Aruba since 1979
    ouch great advice
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    A word of caution.......check out your running route first. It is not unusual to meet up with the odd pack of dogs on some of the roads. They are not always that friendly. ( My backside can attest to their speed and attitude)

I haven't encountered any trouble running while I have been there... Depending how far you go you may come into a rough area, so you may want to stick to a main stretch and go back and forth a few times as opposed to a run out a farther distance and back. As for the dogs, they are abused, neglected, and attacked by many local kids and adults, so yes some aren't the nicest. I feel bad for them when I see them, last year I bought a bag of food from Ling and Sons and left food and water out for some of them. In my experience if you don't bother them they won't bother you, but it sounds like Aquaman had another experience, so be cautious! Enjoy your trip either way!

Hooiberg is a fun workout, to get some hill work in.

Cosmo - lots of fabulous routes mentioned above . . . just be careful if running along L.G. Smith from Palm Beach area to the lighthouse . . . how someone has not gotten "picked off" that road yet by a rubber-necking driver enjoying the beautiful views of the sea is beyond me . . . if running at night (and take it from a driver who frequents that road daily), please wear reflective clothing since there are no lights on that stretch of roadway. Michael

If you are staying near the Amsterdam Manor the Manager and a couple of his friends run early in the morning long distances.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

I run every day when I am in Aruba. I start at the Tam (at the beginning of the beach) and run to the Marriott and back, it's about 8 miles RT. Once you get to the Divi Phoenix you can run the walk way behind all the resorts, it's a nice run in the early AM. I start at 6am.