Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scuba versus snorkeling

Scuba versus snorkeling

I am will making my first trip to Aruba in January. Can't wait!!!

I love to snorkel and have been snorkeling on Kauai (great shore snorkeling) and in Cancun, (not so great) many times. Here is my Aruba question...

Is the shore snorkeling good enough, or do I need to learn to Scuba before I go. I really don't care if I see wrecks, I am more interested in seeing beautiful marine life. We are renting a car, and I plan on hitting all the recommended snorkeling sites. I just wanted to be sure I won't be sorry that I can't Scuba dive.

Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    check out these threads
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=284673

the snorkeling in Aruba is good, not magnificent.
    the scuba is good, not magnificent.
    good snorkel spots are at arashi and malmok and baby beach.
    scuba in aruba, is good but imo, it does not hold a candle to bonaire or caymans.
    andrea

Thanks, Andrea.

I guess my question is more along the lines of.... will I see a lot more Scuba diving as apposed to just snorkeling. In other words.... is all the good stuff more than 15 feet deep?

Dan

Aruba since 1979
    hope more folks reply to your question

personally, i prefer the snorkeling.
    and we snorkel most every morning EARLY 8 am at arashi or baby beach.
    baby beach should be avoided on the weekends as it is very crowded with residents.
    the spanish lagoon is also a good spot to snorkel.
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by mnwild View Post
    Thanks, Andrea.

I guess my question is more along the lines of.... will I see a lot more Scuba diving as apposed to just snorkeling. In other words.... is all the good stuff more than 15 feet deep?

Dan
    It really is a toss up. There are things that you are going to see snorkeling that you wouldn't necessarily see on 60 ft. dives. If you take a discover scuba course you will only be diving about 30 feet at the very maximum, so all in all, probably about the same.

I have never seen anything while snorkeling in Aruba which compared to the magnificent sponges on Aruba's most famous wrect the Antilla.

mnwild
    I spend several hours a day snorkeling when in Aruba. I had the pleasure of going with Kent gerber to Mangel Halto Fantastic. Malmok area also has good snorkeling right of the beach. Enjoy

I have been diving in Aruba for the past six years.You will see more when you dive but if you are not a certified diver you can only do a 30ft discover dive.I do some snorkeling but I do enjoy diving more.Enjoy what ever you choose.

Thank you all for your informative answers. Looks like I will stick to snorkeling. If I decide to scuba, I will get certified here in the chilly waters of Minnesota first.

One more question, looks like Kent Gerber uses a Sea Doo Sea Scooter. Anyone ever use one? Are they good? They are on sale right now for $199, I am thinking of buying it.

Dan

Aruba since 1979
    i think kent loves his!

andrea

It depends on what you want to see. If you are okay with the marine life, like you said. You would be fine because there are a lot of coral reefs. Diving is good if you like to see the wrecks, like the Antilla. As for how far you can seen down it depends on the weather. One day I SNORKELED at the Antilla with the Jolly Pirates and it was really clear that I could see pretty far down (yay!!). The next day my dad and his friend DOVE the Antilla and it was really cloudly and murky that even when they went down deep they couldn't see that much . Hope this helps and have fun!! Enjoy Aruba for us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast