Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sea Trek Underwater Helmet Tour

Sea Trek Underwater Helmet Tour

Noticed in the DePalm Island brochure an option for an underwater trek using a specialized dive helmet. The helmet is quite heavy and allows you to walk underwater. It looks like you follow a rope line. Tom really wants to do this. Has anyone gone?

Interested to hear responses. I've never tried, but have thought about it.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjql58VNmwY
    looks incredibly easy

i wonder how they are weighted down? the helmets weighs them down so not floating away?

QUOTE=Pegmeister;268773]Noticed in the DePalm Island brochure an option for an underwater trek using a specialized dive helmet. The helmet is quite heavy and allows you to walk underwater. It looks like you follow a rope line. Tom really wants to do this. Has anyone gone?[/QUOTE]

Aruba since 1979
    re: SEA TREK

from my friend that is with EMS on aruba
    Sea trek is very easy, but if you have any cardiac history or cardiac surgery it is a no go.
    I will try to send you the medical waiver .

Thanks Andrea. I think I read that the helmet was 75 pounds. I'm not as enthused as he is. Think I would rather do Black Pearl again

We did this. If you have any issues being claustrophobic I would pass. The instructors are helpful and the helmets don't feel heavy in the water. You climb down a ladder with a guide next to you each way. Then you hold on to a bar while they bring the rest of the group down. Of course my hubby had to be first! When the group is down you walk around on the bottom thru a little path wi th fish all arounD. That part is pretty cool. They feed the fish so they swim right up to you. they take photos but the disc is of the whole group. We didn't purchase it because there were only a couple pictures of us so it wasn't worth it. They do let you watch it before you decidede to buy it.
    For me, never diving it was a good experience but one one that I feel like been there done that and won't repeat.
    It was not a physically demanding activity. For me the hardest part was getting used to the big helmet around my head and having to turn my shoulders to look around. And because I am slightly claustrophobic I had to keep reminding myself that I was going to be just fine and take a few deep breaths. It's not that you are closed in anywhere, for me it's the feeling of having something around my head and not being able to surface right away. Basically I am a crazy person...lol. There are no weights, the helmet holds you down. They have wet suits if you want hut I was okay wi th out one.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Tracey, thanks that info is helpful I was thinking it may feel claustrophobic. We did the semi-sub tour and even though it didn't completely submerge I felt slightly uncomfortable. I'm going to have to think about this one.

Exactly what I was afraid of. I have some weird issues to deal with! Thanks Tracey.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot imagine 75 lbs sitting on my shoulders.

The weight info I had was incorrect. After looking at the Sea Trek site I see that the helmet is just 15 pounds. Some units also use a backpack which would add to the weight. It doesn't look like DePalm uses the backpack system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast