Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: Seaglass

Seaglass

Can anyone tell me where there is a reef in Aruba where there is alot of seaglass??

Sea glass is not a result of nature. As you know it is the result of broken man made bottles- beer and soda- having been broken and ground by action of the waves and sand.

You may find some glass on the windward coastline where trash from all of the Caribbean Sea washes in, however I have never seen any on the leeward side of the island where Palm and Eagle Beaches are.

Thanks Lisa a lady who makes jewelry from seaglass she collected from a reef around the light house ? She said it was remarkable how much glass there was

The area you are referring to is most likely the windward coast and north facing shoreline right there at the California Sand Dunes.

During the 2 weeks we're on the island, on a daily basis we walk the beach from Tamarijn to Amsterdam Manor. Our eyes are constantly scanning the surf line for shells and 'sea-glass'. Our success primarily depends on the type of wave that's breaking. Some years we have returned with 2-3 sandwich size bags of glass. I actually carry a small long handled dip-net for retrieving the glass. Often it's split second that you see it and it's gone. Prime areas have been near Aruba Beach Club - Costa Linda. Tamarijn form the 1200 block to Divi has also been very productive. Most prevelant colors are brown, green, and clear.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Have found some nice pieces at Bachlor Beach...Up past the anchor on way to baby beach....(actually it is almost directly behind the anchor..)
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Sea glass is not a result of nature. As you know it is the result of broken man made bottles- beer and soda- having been broken and ground by action of the waves and sand.

You may find some glass on the windward coastline where trash from all of the Caribbean Sea washes in, however I have never seen any on the leeward side of the island where Palm and Eagle Beaches are.

This is pretty interesting, I did not realize that sea glass was a result of man made bottles. Learned something new today, thanks Lisa! Either way it is beautiful when you find it, a friend of mine gets lots in Bermuda first time I even saw it, I would love to find some pieces in Aruba or even pretty shells for that matter :-)

Aruba since 1979
    i too would love to find some pretty shells in aruba.
    i have about given up.

Quote Originally Posted by DiviDiviFan View Post
    This is pretty interesting, I did not realize that sea glass was a result of man made bottles. Learned something new today, thanks Lisa! Either way it is beautiful when you find it, a friend of mine gets lots in Bermuda first time I even saw it, I would love to find some pieces in Aruba or even pretty shells for that matter :-)

If you want sea glass head to Jersey. There is tons of it