Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SHARKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by kiss44 View Post
    Are you sure you were in Aruba???? Never heard of this before, and I am a frequent visitor, not to mention have friends that live there!
    Charlie posted this panic inducing statement and then never replied again. I'm sure it was just a prank.
    Aruba History:
    Lou: Visited on a cruise in 2005
    Lou&Nay: Will visit on our honeymoon 9/2008

shark in Aruba

Ok, now I have been snorkling in Aruba for 8 yrs now and NEVER saw what I had seen at DePalm 2 weeks ago. We were out on the reef when a shark about 4.5 feet swam by me. It took a few minutes to sink in and I was furious I did not have my camera. Then a paniced just a little and signaled my husband. He did not see the shark. We went back to the dock and I asked the attendant what type it was,,,,he was a little hesitant and then finally said,"oh, you saw our lemon shark that has been swimming around our reef." Just then a little girl about 10 came up and said she saw the shark too. So i knew I wasn't crazy. I have seen sharks in the water on other islands before but this was my first for Aruba.

I have heard they have sharks around the island, but have heard that in order to keep them on the rougher side of the island they throw old meat out daily.....anyone know if that is true or not ???? We never see any boats out around the rough side when we take the jeeps or quads out, but then it may be a different time of day......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    they throw old meat out daily.....anyone know if that is true or not ???? We never see any boats out around the rough side when we take the jeeps or quads out, but then it may be a different time of day......
    From what I have been told , it was not necessarily meat, but "garbage" which was dumped on the windward side. This was in lieu of using the garbage dump (now located south of the airport by the cement factory.) IF they were indeed dumping garbage, I am sure it was attracting all kinds of sealife.

So does that mean they aren't dumping if a shark was seen...or just a random occurance....either way it makes me a little nervous....you know how lucky I am.....don't need to go home and explain a bunch of stitches................that's awful even joking about it.....shame on me !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    or just a random occurance
    As far as I know, this sighting was a random occurrence, and garbage is no longer dumped.

Aruba since 1979
    COOL sighting, i am sorry that you did not have your camera.

A few yrs ago after hurricane Ivan, we were near the airport looking at a boat that had burned and saw a shark just kind of sharking around looking for something to do. He/She was at the surface a few times and we could see the fin.
    Dh blamed that shark's appearance on the bad weather conditions a few days prior.

So many folks would have LOVED to have seen what you saw.
    Others....................no way.

Thanks for telling us.
    Andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by dspence View Post
    Ok, now I have been snorkling in Aruba for 8 yrs now and NEVER saw what I had seen at DePalm 2 weeks ago. We were out on the reef when a shark about 4.5 feet swam by me. It took a few minutes to sink in and I was furious I did not have my camera. Then a paniced just a little and signaled my husband. He did not see the shark. We went back to the dock and I asked the attendant what type it was,,,,he was a little hesitant and then finally said,"oh, you saw our lemon shark that has been swimming around our reef." Just then a little girl about 10 came up and said she saw the shark too. So i knew I wasn't crazy. I have seen sharks in the water on other islands before but this was my first for Aruba.

Guys,

I was at the Palm Island this past Wednesday and I did see the shark as well. I've been snorkeling for years and have never seen a shark. Now I know that there are sharks. It was around 4 or 5 feet. The good news... I had my underwater camera with me and I got 2 pictures. As soon as I've developed my camera I'll post the pictures. I think it was a small tooth tiger shark.

Stay posted for the pics

Wow Reggie,
    That's really cool...can't wait to see the pictures.........

Quote Originally Posted by dspence View Post
    Arubalisa,
    Now, I certainly hope Mr. Eel will be hanging out with Mr. Shark shopping in Miami in November ( ha ha ) What do you think ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast