Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SHARKS!!

Aruba since 1979
    WE do not close threads randomly.
    WE do not delete threads randomly.
    MOST times a thread closure order comes from the office.
    Lots of times, lisa and i feel a thread is not making progress and is becoming problematic.............with that in mind we discuss it and then hit the lock or delete.

Just because it is OLD, means you think it should be closed?
    Just because it is OLD and the most recent post came from the fisherman yesterday and
    Folks like to read and browse and not necessarily post.
    some of the thoughts and statements on this thread may be questionable or inaccurate.
    but, many current threads have some inaccuracies.

i can guarantee you that the person did NOT just randomly go back 30 or 40 pages to find this thread.

he/she used the search/tag and typed in sharks.

we encourage all to use that feature.

IMO, we try to keep all threads remain open and readable for the members to research.

andrea james
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-29-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Andrea's right because some people, me for instance, didn't find this forum till this past september. so everything in this forum was new to me though it may be an older date. but for me, it was all new information. if i read just the 2010 info when i came to this forum, i would have missed alot of things that were posted. so thanks for not deleting, lol....

1749 - 2010 Bahamas' and the Antilles' Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Bahamas 26 Aruba is about 630 miles from the southern tip of the Bahamas
    Antilles (Caribbean) 33
    Netherlands Antilles 2 attacks neither fatal
    Does not state which ABC island

Disease & Accidental Causes of Deaths // Death Risk During One's Lifetime
    Heart disease 1 in 5
    Car accidents 1 in 84
    Air/space accident 1 in 5,051
    Lightning 1 in 79,746
    Shark attack 1 in 3,748,067

Death flying to or from Aruba your chances are 1 in 5,051,
    Death swimming in the ocean from shark attack
    1 in 3,748,067

I'll take those odds and continue to swim in the ocean
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 03-29-2011 at 12:37 PM.

In all my trips I've seen two sharks in Aruba. One was just a brief glimpse of a small fin on the way out to the Antilla on a snorkeling cruise and the other was a 3' (or so) lemon shark off DePalm island. Neither got anywhere close to people.

Unhappy

I ran into someone today who has been to Aruba once and swore they were feeding sharks on the "rough side" of the island during a tour she took.

Aruba since 1979
    hahahahaha, sure

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    a friend of mine said the same thing to me. I don't think so.

EAGLE & PALM BEACH ORANJESTAD PADDOCK - MADAME JEANETTE SOLE MARE KUKKO KUNUKOO
    Priceless, that statement has been going around for quite a while. My mother booked our first trip in January of 1983 and the travel agent at the time told her about the feeding of the sharks on the other side so they didn't come down to the populated beaches. We just accepted it as truth because we didn't know any better....almost like the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TEAMARUBA View Post
    feeding of the sharks on the other side so they didn't come down to the populated beaches.
    That was the exact point this woman was trying to prove to me. In her mind, there was no way, no how that a shark would EVER venture over to the west coast of the island when the eating was so good on the opposite coast. Sometimes there is just NO explaining to people and they just believe what they want. I am wondering if she did not see some fisherman.

Smile

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in since I just about live in the ocean. If you go down by baby beach and walk along the shore, we have seen sharks out there. You have to remember that the ocean is where sharks live. 1 month ago we wanted to get some good pics with our go pro camera so we set up some bait and dove down 80 feet deep and set up the go pro. 6 hours later we went back and got the go pro and looked to see what we got on tape. You guessed it. A shark came in and bumped the bait box and took off. This was a 7 ft shark. I have done alot of deep sea fishing in Aruba and I have caught sharks so believe me, there are sharks in the water but I have never heard of any shark attacks in Aruba. That is more than we can say about Florida. The sharks like the deeper water because its cooler for them.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast