• 6 Post By susan.b
  • 1 Post By Traceyd14
  • 1 Post By __steve__
  • 1 Post By susan.b

Thread: shore/beach entry snorkeling

Aruba since 1979

shore/beach entry snorkeling

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    I'm surprised he doesn't list Baby Beach. We go out through the deep water buoys and head south between the rocks. As long as the current isn't ripping through there, you'll see the most sea life and its safe. We always pick up a bag of baby carrots before we go there now, the wild donkeys LOVE them.

Sorry but I have to be honest. In my opinion, people should never swim outside the buoys. People drown doing that. I am a strong swimmer and caught in an undertow within the buoys and honestly couldn't move in any direction. It was very frightening. Not trying to be a downer, but I think this is really unwise. Baby Beach is otherwise lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by susan.b View Post
    Sorry but I have to be honest. In my opinion, people should never swim outside the buoys. People drown doing that. I am a strong swimmer and caught in an undertow within the buoys and honestly couldn't move in any direction. It was very frightening. Not trying to be a downer, but I think this is really unwise. Baby Beach is otherwise lovely.
    I completely agree Susan. I think they even added signs on where you should stop at Baby Beach because people have died. It's serious.

For those planning to venture out on your own to snorkel, I strongly recommend buying the inflatable vests. They were pretty cheap to purchase on Amazon. I am a strong swimmer, although not as in shape as I was during my life guarding years through high school and college. Currents make me nervous. When we are on our own from shore, we probably miss out if seeing some things, but at the end of the day, it's safety first.

Another tip for snorkeling I cannot thank Andrea enough for this tip, take a bag of frozen peas. The fish will come to you.

if you swim out beyond the marked aeras without a guide you can get pulled over by the coast guard on jet skis. I firsthand know this. Also, wherever you swim out beyond areas designated for swimming it's a good idea to have a tethered visibility float so boats and rec traffic won't hit you

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by susan.b View Post
    Susan,
    Sorry you had a problem there but what were the circumstances? There is an inlet going out to the ocean about 150 feet from the deep water buoys, its only 2' deep but there is another set of buoys that say danger strong currents, we stay away from that area. We've snorkeled this area at least a dozen times and never have encountered a problem. The last two trips we have seen Depalm there with a snorkeling excursion and now a couple of the independent guys are doing tours too. We will end up there 4 or 5 times on our next trip.

I must have been over my head, because I couldn't move. This was maybe 8 years ago. I do remember being terrified. I still would be very cautious because currents and undertows can come out of nowhere and if you are over your head it spells trouble. Even if you are not over your head the undertow can get you. It is a lovely place to snorkel but it remains my opinion that it is not safe to go out that far.
    Last edited by susan.b; 03-30-2017 at 06:57 PM.