Aruba Beach

Thread: Snorkeling the Antilla ???

Snorkeling the Antilla ???

Hi guys,

I am very excited about doing some snorkeling while we're down there, mostly about the Antilla wreck. Is it possible to swim out from shore? I don't want to pay for a tour and be limited for time if I can do it for free all day.
    It looks like its only about 1800 feet off shore but what are the currents like that far off the beach?
    My girlfriend has never snorkeled and is not a great swimmer (she was a D1 sprinter in college so she's all muscley and she sinks like a rock) would it be safe for her to accompany me? As always, thanks for your help you guys are great

-RC

Please do not try to swim the .40 mile to the Antilla snorkel for "x" amount of time and then swim back to shore against the wind and current.

The last person who I heard who attempted this was rescued via dinghy by a member of the Jolly Pirates crew who luckily for the snorkeler, happened to be nearby.

More info at http://www.aruba.com/forum/f10/best-snorkel-boats-beginner-resort-diving-32134/

FWIW, imo, there is better snorkeling on the island. The Antilla is a much better dive than snorkel. Visibility in Aruba is not that great and snorkeling on top of the wreck you will not see as much as you like. There are parts of the ship which do stick up out of the water and with the currents, again, could make for a very dangerous situation. Not worth risking one's life over.

For a cheap day of unlimted snorkeling, for $2.60 roundtrip take the bus to Malmok and snorkel Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove to your heart's content. When we snorkeled the Antilla and Boca Catalina areas in June, the water at Boca Catalina had 100% better visibility than the Antilla.

Thanks for the input Lisa! Unfortunately that's what I was afraid of. We're definitely going to hit Arashi, Malmok, Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove, I was just really hoping to do the Antilla Oh well I'm sure we'll still have a great time

Smile

I swam out to the ship wreck with a friend and we had a sea doo scooter to help pull us. We never had life jackets or anything else. Everything went fine but now I look back and say what if we got a bad cramp or it really get deep going out there and its black below you. I didn't really like that. The snorkling was very nice. Send me a e-mail and I can give you some good snorkling advice. I snorkle everyday I'm there and I go 3 weeks in the winter and 3 weeks in the summer. kentgerber@adamswells.com
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Red face Don't even think about it

The Antilla wreck is located in approxomately 50ft of water and far from shore. The current out there is usually pretty rough not quite the same as closer to shore. Best idea is to pay the price usually around $40US per person and go on a boat. We always use the Dolphin located at the Hyatt. If your girl friend has never snorkelled before this might be a good way to experience it properly. The crew can help and if requested will go in with her especially where the Antilla wreck is located, it can be a little scary. However the best deal is to rent a car and get up to the north end Malmok or Arashi beach and go in from the shore. There is a live coral reef, the water is not that deep and within 2 minutes you wil be seeing the best under water life and fish of all colors. If you can bring an underwater camera as the water is usually pretty clear. Good way to spend the afternoon, bring a picnic lunch and see some of the island too.

Smile

Everybody always talks about the nice wreaf but all I saw in July was rocks and weeds. I never saw so much crap floating in the water. One morning I went at 6 am and saw 5 turtles, 2 sting rays, a school of squid, star fish and alot of fish but for the coral, I would give it a zero. I'm spoiled with Mangel Halto. That is the clearest water and the most fans, coral, brain coral and fish. The reason I know is a few years ago, everyday I seen a couple in the water everyday at Mangel Halto with underwater clip boards and pencils. I went and talked to them one day when they were eating their lunch. They said they work for the government and they are in the water 6 days a week and they were all over the Island. I asked them where is the best snorkling on the Island and they said right here!!!!
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Thanks so much for the input everybody, I really appreciate it - keep it coming!