Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: snorkeling concern please advise!

snorkeling concern please advise!

I am not a very good swimmer but would like to go on a snorkeling tour to see The Antilla wreck. Are there life jacket provided on the tour? Any preference on which company to go with? I have read reviews about those water sport companies are not regulated so should I be concerned with safety? Thanks all for your help in advance!

Aruba since 1979
    yes there are life jackets

all of the snorkel boats.......jolly, tranquilo, red sail, depalm are very reputable.

what do you mean "water sport companies are not regulated ?"

if you are a weak swimmer, i NEVER recommend a snorkeling adventure.

Aruba since 1979
    a good way of getting in some practice is at the resort pool.
    you could use snorkel gear and practice in the resort pool.

I think most, if not all excursion companies offer vests, but I am going to be perfectly honest. Snorkeling the Antilla with a group of people is difficult. Many days with the wind, it can be quite rough. If you feel uncomfortable in the water, even with a vest I probably would not take a chance.

If you do want to take the chance, personally, I would spend some extra money and go with a private excursion who will offer to take you early in the a.m. before the wind kicks up too badly and there are no crowds. Perhaps contact Roberto's or Aruba Watersports.

The visibility from on top of the wreck has always been disappointing, however, perhaps that is just me. Spoiled from being down 60' feet and diving the actual wreck.

Hopefully others will voice their opinions and experiences.

I've gone to the wreck 3 times with Jolly Pirates. The first time the captain suggested that if you were new to snorkling, don't try it at the wreck. Wait for the other two spots which were calmer. There were heavy winds that day. Well, I didn't listen and I had a tough time and I'd consider myself a fair swimmer. The second year I had no problem at all. This year again, it was rough and again, the captain recommended that new snorklers don't try it - again, I didn't listen as I didn't consider myself "new" but again I had trouble. I have to say the pirates were right there with their eyes on all the snorklers and ready with a hand to drag you back in the boat and one was in the water watching us. Listen to the captain and you'll be fine. The second and third stops are near the coast and easy to navigate.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/thingstodo/sear...x?bc=excursion

here are a bunch of scuba/snorkeling cos.
    all very very reputable.

another one that i like is AQUA WINDIES http://www.aquawindies.com/

Thanks Andrea! I read someone's post on parasailing about her horrible experience that the crew was unprofessional so want to make sure that I book with a reputable company. Weak swimmer meaning that I couldn't swim few hundred yards without a life jacket...I had been on snorkeling tours few times in other Caribbean islands so I think I am ok ^^ Thanks thanks!

wow you guys are fast in replying.....after I finished replying to Andrea and saw all those replies!!! really appreciate all your opinions! I think I'll go with Jolly and see that day's weather condition I would be still happy with the other two sites ^^

Banned
    We snorkeled the Antilles last year...and it was rough as usual. Our snorkle capabilites are pretty good, but after awhile it gets tiresome snorkeling in rough water. To be honest, it's so rough in that area that the water is cloudy, and it's difficult to see much. I didn't see anything that I haven't seen in the other pristine calm waters around Aruba. Probably best to not risk it.

Aruba since 1979
    if it were me

i would rent some snorkel gear WITH a vest.....and
    do a few shore snorkels at catalina cove and or baby beach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast