Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: snorkeling concern please advise!

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling.html
    click the above link for much reading and snorkeling suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    if you are a weak swimmer, i NEVER recommend a snorkeling adventure.
    I couldn't agree more. If you have your heart set on seeing the antilla, the semi submersible, would be one option for seeing it without any real risk.
    http://www.depalmtours.com/seaworld-...semi-submarine

Banned
    One thing I learned my first time snorkeling at depalm Island is if you keep your head down in the water and your snorkel in your mouth, you can float all day even without a vest. There was a local boy that took me and a few other people out for a free tour of the drop-off. While out there I was struggling to tread water as I did not have a vest. The boy said just put your face in the water and relax. The key is not to panic, easier said than done for some, and control your breathing. Beginners should definitely practice in the shallows on the beach. My nine year old son had no problem in heavy chop at the Antilla on his first time ever snorkeling. Your first time should be with someone with experience though.

Aruba since 1979
    and if a splash of water comes up and inside the snorkel causing the snorkeler to choke?
    or if by accident one of the folks snorkeling nearby kicks the mask of the weak swimmer, causing the mask to flood and the person to panic?

i totally recommend life vest AND practicing in shallow baby beach water, a pool or the area at catalina cove, not the antilla in the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    One thing I learned my first time snorkeling at depalm Island is if you keep your head down in the water and your snorkel in your mouth, you can float all day even without a vest. There was a local boy that took me and a few other people out for a free tour of the drop-off. While out there I was struggling to tread water as I did not have a vest. The boy said just put your face in the water and relax. The key is not to panic, easier said than done for some, and control your breathing. Beginners should definitely practice in the shallows on the beach. My nine year old son had no problem in heavy chop at the Antilla on his first time ever snorkeling. Your first time should be with someone with experience though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and if a splash of water comes up and inside the snorkel causing the snorkeler to choke?
    or if by accident one of the folks snorkeling nearby kicks the mask of the weak swimmer, causing the mask to flood and the person to panic?

i totally recommend life vest AND practicing in shallow baby beach water, a pool or the area at catalina cove, not the antilla in the crowds.
    I was trying to be helpful and encouraging. I wasn't advaocating going without a vest, just stating that if you had to, you can float without one. And an answer to your what ifs, they make splash guards for snorkels now. You wouldn't want to use the nasty ones on the boats they give out. Getting your mask kicked off, you have to use some common sense and keep your distance. But if it does happen it would startle anyone. If you panic you have your vest to keep you floating. You try to deal with it.

Here's a what if for you. What if after you practiced and got comfortable as a begginner and vetured out in water over your head with a vest and the vest fails? Hopefully you would remain calm and try to remember to keep your head down and breath through your snorkel and swim to safety.

I'm a good swimmer/snorkeler and the only time I've ever had to use a vest was at the Antilla. The wind/waves can be very rough and it gets tiring very quickly. My husband and I ended up being the only 2 that lasted in the water for the entire snorkel time there - everyone else gave up. I didn't see that much (hubby saw more than me) so I don't have a big desire to go out there again. I think Captain Jethro (from the Octopus) saw the most....my life vest pushed my swimsuit top up (which I didn't know at the time) and he got quite an eyeful as he helped me up the ladder. He told me later that it wasn't the first time and that...he loves his job! LOL!!!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Baby beach would be a great place to start, get familiar with the mask and snorkle, and still see some sea life.

Aruba since 1979
    haha jethro has seen lots in dealing with those climbing up out of the water hahaha....you must have been embarrassed.

my concern is that folks understand there are risks associated with snorkeling without a lifejacket.

lifevest/jackets are a needed safety item when snorkeling at the antilla.

weak swimmers imo should stay clear until they have good snorkeling skills and are competent swimmers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I'm a good swimmer/snorkeler and the only time I've ever had to use a vest was at the Antilla. The wind/waves can be very rough and it gets tiring very quickly. My husband and I ended up being the only 2 that lasted in the water for the entire snorkel time there - everyone else gave up. I didn't see that much (hubby saw more than me) so I don't have a big desire to go out there again. I think Captain Jethro (from the Octopus) saw the most....my life vest pushed my swimsuit top up (which I didn't know at the time) and he got quite an eyeful as he helped me up the ladder. He told me later that it wasn't the first time and that...he loves his job! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    I'm a good swimmer/snorkeler and the only time I've ever had to use a vest was at the Antilla.The wind/waves can be very rough and it gets tiring very quickly. My husband and I ended up being the only 2 that lasted in the water for the entire snorkel time there - everyone else gave up. I didn't see that much (hubby saw more than me) so I don't have a big desire to go out there again.
    And I too am going to add once again, if you are not a good swimmer, imo, the risk is much greater than the reward.

Aruba is not known for its great underwater visibility and you are truly not going to see much of the wreck from the surface when it is laying in 60+ feet of water.

You will see much more on the reefs closer to shore. Snorkeling the reefs you will be more comfortable and will not, as Amy pointed out, tire as easily. Snorkeling off the beach you will be able to spend a much longer period of time in the water before you are tired.

I think Captain Jethro (from the Octopus) saw the most....my life vest pushed my swimsuit top up (which I didn't know at the time) and he got quite an eyeful as he helped me up the ladder. He told me later that it wasn't the first time and that...he loves his job! LOL!!!
    Now that is something you can go back and laugh at that probably wasn't too funny when it happened. Priceless story about Jethro!

The first time I snorkeled the Antilla, I was wearing a bandeau top bathing suit and had to swim with one hand over the crack in my cleavage because I was scared to death that one of the silversides (for folks from the Eastern U.S. we would know them as minnows ) would swim down my bathing suit. There were 1000's of them near the surface!!!

I turned 8 shades of red and it wasn't from a sunburn. We had a good laugh about it later...what else can you do? LOL!

The Antilla is definitely a tough (and tiring) snorkel site - even with a lifevest.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast