Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: snorkeling concern please advise!

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    I'm bringing this thread back to life because, as I mentioned in my introduction, we (my fiancée and I) want to snorkel in Aruba but have zero experience -- we don't even know how to rate ourselves as swimmers... from what I've read in this and other threads, the recommendation would be:

1. Practice in swimming pools (considering we'll be there in May, we have some time to do it in my fiancée's house -- her family has a swimming pool large enough for us to keep floating at least).
    2. When in Aruba, go to the easy, shallow places first - Baby Beach and Boca Catalina.
    3. Leave the snorkeling tours to the end of our stay, after we have snorkeled a bit in more friendly places. Use a life vest if necessary.

Did I understand it right? Any additional advice?

And about snorkeling tours, which ones do you recommend? A quick search led me to Jolly Pirates and De Palm's Snorkel Adventure.

Thanks for the advice and all the best from Brazil

Marcio

Smile

I would not save snorkling to the last day because if you love it as much as I do, then you will want to do it over and over again!!! Practice in the pool before you go and then hit it when you are there. Kent
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    My wife and I snorkel every other day or so at Boca Catalina. You'll see a ton of fish, it's very clear and very easy to swim over the coral, as it's only 10 - 30 yards out from the beach. There are palapas on the beach, but lock valuables in the car, as you would anywhere. You can bring your own gear from home (highly recommended) or rent from a place like Red Sail.

We've also done the snorkel tour with Roberto's Watersports and had a great time both times out with them. They provide gear, sandwiches and alcoholic or non-alcoholic punch and beer for about $35 per person for a 2.5 hour trip.

You can choose to just do the shallow water snorkel or, if you feel adventurous, do the wreck. Frankly, as you've read in previous posts, the wreck is not all that exciting and you'll see a much bigger variety of fish over the shallow coral.

We like Roberto's because the tri-hull sailboat is smaller, so you're not in the water with 50 other people.

When you feel you are ready, I would highly recommend snorkeling with Kent (previous post) at Mangel Halto. He'll show you some amazing coral that you won't be able to do on your own. However, you'll need to feel comfortable in the water and with the equipment first.

Whatever you do, get out and snorkel. It's one of the best things to do on the island IMO. Enjoy!

Kent is great very patient and super nice, he will definately show you a great time, and make you feel very confortable.

Looks like I have a plan Snorkeling with Bob (Kent won't be in Aruba) in one of our first days there; going to Boca Catalina or Baby Beach a few days later; and end the trip with another snorkeling trip... thanks everyone for the advice and recommendations!

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

Just to update you all on our arrangements -- I booked Stuart (Aruba Bob -- Kent won't be there at the same time I will) for our 3rd day in Aruba, I told him we have never snorkeled before and he said he will give us "beginners' classes", with life vests if necessary. It leaves us 6 other days in the island for more snorkeling in places like Boca Catalina or Baby Beach in case we really enjoy the experience!

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    Marcio,
    Have a great time. Enjoy the snorkeling and the great food in Aruba. Let us know how it goes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123