Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkeling Equipment

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter

Snorkeling Equipment

DH and I plan to do a lot of snorkeling on our next trip. We want to bring our own equipment but we don't really know what to look for when buying. Any tips you can offer would be appreciated.

Mask:
    I don't like when the straps are part of the skirt, I prefer them to attach to the frame. If they attach to the skirt they are more likely to pull it away and let water in. If you're diving, the pressure makes that less of an issue, but it can be a pain when snorkeling. Lower volume masks get the lens closer to your eyes and give you a larger field of vision. I also prefer a clear skirt to let in more light and improved peripheral vision. If you'll be doing a lot of photography, you may want a black skirt.
    I use one of these:
    http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/UDRMM...i_sku=UDRMMTSS

Snorkel:
    Dry or semi dry are almost a must if you will be in open water and dealing with waves, or if you do any free diving to the bottom. Just make sure you keep any sand or particulate matter out as the mechanism can jam if it gets dirty.
    I use one of these:
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CSBSDD.html

Fins:
    Make sure they fit. I prefer full foot and not ones with straps, your mileage may vary. You do not want them to be loose at all on land as they will loosen up a bit once you get in the water.
    I have these on order.
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...FRP.html?Hit=1

Thanks for all that info - It's very helpful!
    I didn't see anywhere that said if the lens on the mask were plastic or glass. I read somewhere to not get plastic because they fog up.
    I'm just happy they have snorkels that work against water going down into your mouth. I hated that when I went snorkeling on a cruise excursion a "few" years ago!

When you go to leisurepro, look at the mask's with the digital camera in them, they take great pic's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Beaches View Post
    When you go to leisurepro, look at the mask's with the digital camera in them, they take great pic's.
    I did! But dh and I were fighting over who would get to use it and we don't want to buy 2. Can you tell we don't share well with each other? LOL

SS. let dh have it, then all you have to do is snorkel(with no worries if you got that fish) and look at the pic's he gets,

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    Thanks for all that info - It's very helpful!
    I didn't see anywhere that said if the lens on the mask were plastic or glass. I read somewhere to not get plastic because they fog up.
    I'm just happy they have snorkels that work against water going down into your mouth. I hated that when I went snorkeling on a cruise excursion a "few" years ago!
    Before you get in the water, put a thin layer of shampoo on the inside of the lenses, rub to make sure the entire lense is covered. Then lightly rinse it off. It should leave a very thin, transparent layer that helps prevent fogging. I carry a little hotel bottle of shampoo in my dive bag at all times. If you are out of the water for a bit and go back in, put it on again.

wow great tip chadd, thanks! i was wondering about how to fix fogging issues. i had heard spit but i preferred not to do that lol
    Curacao spring break trip in

Christmas in Aruba in

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    Before you get in the water, put a thin layer of shampoo on the inside of the lenses, rub to make sure the entire lense is covered. Then lightly rinse it off. It should leave a very thin, transparent layer that helps prevent fogging. I carry a little hotel bottle of shampoo in my dive bag at all times. If you are out of the water for a bit and go back in, put it on again.
    Great tip! Thanks!

Smile snorkel equipment

I'm not too sure about using shampoo in the mask, it won't hurt you but the phospates in many of those products may damage the coral of the ocean......we have snorkelled in Belize and Mexico and on other islands and we have always been asked to "spit" in our masks and then wipe it around and rinse it out.............it sounds not too good but it does work well and your mask shouldn't fog up. Your mask should make a tight seal around your face when you breathe in, without the strap on, if it doesn't seal then you'll need to try a different mask to fit your face....happy snorkelling, it's a wonderful world to visit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast