Aruba Beach

Thread: Snorkeling Question

Eagle Beach, Passions, Under a palapa, Mangos.

Snorkeling Question

So, this may be a silly question, but can you snorkel in the waters on Eagle Beach? I haven't heard much about it, wondered if there was anything to see!

Andrea

Aruba since 1979
    [B]absolutely can snorkel at eagle beach
    but, not much to see.....sand and some schools of teeny fish.

we have found the best snorkeling on eagle and palm beach at the divi phoenix, but it
    was just a little better than sand and fish. there were more fish, but no coral formations or anything really pretty.

here are a whole bunch of snorkeling threads

http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=505632

personally, i love catalina cove and boca catalina about a 10 minute drive from the hotels along eagle beach.

Quote Originally Posted by andreayup View Post
    So, this may be a silly question, but can you snorkel in the waters on Eagle Beach? I haven't heard much about it, wondered if there was anything to see!

Andrea
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-16-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    we have found the best snorkeling on eagle beach at the divi phoenix, but it was just a little better than sand and fish. there were more fish, but no coral formations or anything really pretty.
    Part of the area to which Andrea refers is pictured below

There is a break that goes about 80 yards out into the water. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5663237&lon=-70.0513762&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2 The water is very calm there. There is also a little rock island
    click on thumbnail to enlarge

Above you should be able to find some fish, octopus, etc. There is a little Polis (Police) substation right there on the beach (point of reference- between the Westin and Phoenix). This is a perfect spot on Palm Beach if you just want to do some snorkeling on your own for free

personally, i love catalina cove and boca catalina about a 10 minute drive from the hotels along eagle beach.
    Boca Catalina is our favorite spot as well. I have directions for snorkeling Boca Catalina and Catalina Cove here
    www.arubabound.com/dive/snorkeling.htm

How Far Catalina Cove
    www.aruba.com/forum/f10/how-far-catalina-cove-43155/

Snorkeling Boca Catalina
    www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling%20boca%20catalina.html

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/snorkeling.html

Great snorkeling close to the Westin

Thanks to Andrea J. and ArubaLisa, we found very good repeat very good snorkeling right off the Police station between the Westin and the Divi Phoenix. The trick is that you have to swim around the little island that ArubaLisa showed in the photograph above. We saw a 4' parrot fish and smaller relatives, angelfish, damselfish, and an abundance of striped grunt, sergeant majors, and similar fish. On the inshore side -- only a few. Most were on the north or northwest side of the rocks.

Only you must keep an eye out for the ski boats and (especially) the jet skis.

Thumbs up

I am happy that you had some great snorkeling.

Quote Originally Posted by TomOfB View Post
    Only you must keep an eye out for the ski boats and (especially) the jet skis.
    GREAT SAFETY tip!

Ideally you could use an inflatable scuba flag and float, attaching a tow line to it, similar to the one seen here, you snorkel along and tow it with you