Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snorkling Lessons

After I slept on this post...I will have to say that given the choice of only doing certfication in a cold water lake, quarry or Atlantic Ocean, I would not have gotten my certification. Dh did his certs in NJ including divemaster and knew better than to even ask me to go into the green murky FRIGID waters.

Of course like Andrea said if it is a strong desire then do what you got to do to make it happen. Are you already enrolled in the class or you can do your classroom work at home and then your water testing in Aruba to finalize your certification. Just an option.

If you are looking for a reason not to do it, there is, again like Andrea said, health reasons. In my book it is really only the expense of diving and having to give up precious beach time.

After I slept on this post...I will have to say that given the choice of only doing certfication in a cold water lake, quarry or Atlantic Ocean, I would not have gotten my certification. Dh did his certs in NJ including divemaster and knew better than to even ask me to go into the green murky FRIGID waters.
    Those are the reasons I did my coursework online and did all of my certification dives in Aruba. Warm water makes it much more enjoyable.

Andrea, thank you so much for all the info....I want to take the course but after thinking about it...I am wondering how much I will actually go...my nephew and cousin go every weekend or so to WV to some lake and love it...but nobody to go with in Aruba...Dh can't swim...LEAD-ASS....got thrown in pool as child and will not...no, can not swim...I tried to teach him....impossible...so, as for BP it is controlled with medications...so is asthma with is so mild I really never have problems.....will have to think long and hard before spending hard earned money....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

FWIW, diving "alone" in Aruba, as long as you do not mind leaving your dh at the pool or beach wouldn't be a problem. Any operator you dive with will "buddy" you up with someone so that you are diving in pairs. My experience has always been that "newbies" are paired with the divemaster/instructor. Overall divers are a tight knit group and would welcome you as a single diver.

Now the diving in lakes in WV that is a whole 'nother story...

Okay, so....yes I can do the homework at home...the divemaster said before I start I have to read the 1st 4 chapters, then I would be ready for the first weekend of classes....do not know however if I can do all the bookwork and then get cert. in Aruba....I am not sure either what the water is like at the diving school...I assume it is a fresh water quarry with a shallow area to start with.....not sure I want to put tanks on, and jump in deep water 1st time out...even though I can swim, I am not sure if my comfort level is that good..!!!
    ArubaLisa, that is good to know that I can still go in Aruba and an instructor will be with me if I have no other partner.....
    As for the lake in WV....nephew and cousin came home last weekend and told me a girl diver drowned...she lost her breathing apparatis and I guess panicked.....that does not make me feel very safe although I told the "boys" if I go with them one has to be on each side of me for the first few times...they agreed, but who knows.....
    I will go to the place this week, see what is what and then make a decision before I pay him....just keep happy thoughts ........
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    FWIW, diving "alone" in Aruba, as long as you do not mind leaving your dh at the pool or beach wouldn't be a problem. Any operator you dive with will "buddy" you up with someone so that you are diving in pairs. My experience has always been that "newbies" are paired with the divemaster/instructor. Overall divers are a tight knit group and would welcome you as a single diver.

Now the diving in lakes in WV that is a whole 'nother story...
    My wife doesn't dive and I've never gone with a buddy and never had a problem. I've also met some interesting people from all over while diving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12