Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Suggestion for Horseback Riding

Suggestion for Horseback Riding

We are heading back to Aruba in the spring and this year we are bringing my father-in-law and his girlfriend. The one activity they have asked to do (besides sipping cocktails by the pool ) is horseback riding. In all our trips to Aruba, this is one adventure we have never tried. Can anyone recommend a tour and/or company? Andrea, I see in my search through the forum you have done horseback riding on the island. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

Get me back to Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    i have had great experiences with most.

however, i do suggest NOT riding out to the natural pool or in the dessert/cactus/rocky area if the riders are inexperienced.
    (Rancho Notorious goes to the natural pool)

A nice ride is countryside/beach ride.

I have ridden with Rancho El Paso, Gold Mine, LePonderosa and Notorious.
    I am an experienced but non confident rider.
    The older i get the less confident I become.

Most places have helmets, but do not require.
    I recommend helmet!

i hope others will add in their thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaLiz View Post
    We are heading back to Aruba in the spring and this year we are bringing my father-in-law and his girlfriend. The one activity they have asked to do (besides sipping cocktails by the pool ) is horseback riding. In all our trips to Aruba, this is one adventure we have never tried. Can anyone recommend a tour and/or company? Andrea, I see in my search through the forum you have done horseback riding on the island. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated!

RANCHO LA PONDEROSA!!!!

After many years of riding on the island, we've learned that this seems to be the place for well-maintained horses and excellent guides.

Here's a brief description of last year's ride...

We were picked up bright and early by Frank, who also turned out to be our guide for the day. I was assigned Comanche, a beautiful black, brown and white paint that I always get to ride, except for our last trip in April when he was down with a fetlock problem. He'd been on rest for five months and was eager to get out on the trail and I was lucky enough to get him.... and it was a great combination. The Lady rode Zorro, another great team on the trail. They've been together many times over the years, and you can see the chemistry there.
    Our friends rode two lovely horses, Bacardi and Flaco, just perfect for relatively new riders. Just active enough, but not a risk for a newbie.

We took the ride out to Alto Vista that is usually done in the p.m.
    It's longer than the Gold Mine ride and the Natural Bridge ride, with a few more opportunities to let the ponies run a bit, if you're capable. This being our 10th anniversary riding with the ranch as well, the guides are pretty comfortable with letting the Lady and I go off and have a wee bit of running time, so our compatriots stayed back with Frank and got a few impromptu lessons, which really improved their ride on the way back.
    The Lady and I got to get in some solid riding along the road, to the point where we got to Alto Vista, dismounted, tethered the ponies,
    and managed to walk the labyrinth before our compadres showed up.
    Pretty much the same thing happened on the way back, Frank gave us (the Lady and I) some space to run, and we did.
    Glorious to say the least. Back to the ranch eventually, back to the Tam, and then back to the beach.

So, for what it's worth, group rides are excellent, usually anywhere from 10 to 15 people, not including the guides (usually 3 of them).
    Private rides, even though they are a little more pricey are also really worth the money.

3 months, 26 days, 4 hours....

Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Aruba since 1979
    the private rides are well worth the money indeed michael!

Thanks to both of you for these suggestions! I knew I would find just the right help on this board. It will the first visit to Aruba for the two of them. We are excited to show them why we love Aruba and keep coming back.

Get me back to Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    you are welcome!

note: although jeans are HOT, but, they are ideal for riding. (do as i say not as i do ...i always wear shorts, even when i ride at home)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaLiz View Post
    Thanks to both of you for these suggestions! I knew I would find just the right help on this board. It will the first visit to Aruba for the two of them. We are excited to show them why we love Aruba and keep coming back.

I am thinking about a horseback tour with my wife this year.

Unfortunately, I have never ridden a horse , and my wife has ridden just eight times. The ride to Conchi sounds like something I may foolishly try

Aruba since 1979
    Suggestion for Horseback Riding-img_0008.jpgi woud not recommend a novice to take a ride to the natural pool on horseback.

you may want to contact the ranch and ask them for a 1 hour practice run a day or 2 before, so that you can become acclamated and comfortable.

i always recommend the beach ride to newbies on horseback.

ask for a helmet!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I am thinking about a horseback tour with my wife this year.

Unfortunately, I have never ridden a horse , and my wife has ridden just eight times. The ride to Conchi sounds like something I may foolishly try

A beach ride sounds rather nice

We've been with Rancho Notorious and Gold Mine Ranch several times over the years. For a first timer and a quiet beach ride I would go with Rancho Notorious but they do tend to take out large groups. We've done a private ride with them a couple of times and it was well worth the money.

We prefer Gold Mine because it's smaller and every time we've booked with them we ended up with a private ride since it was just us and the guide.

As said above...I know it's hot but jeans are definitely the way to go. We always do a morning ride when it's not that hot yet and I always pack a pair of jeans (or wear them on the plane) if I know I'm going to be riding.

My horse at Gold Mine - he was very young and had alot of energy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestion for Horseback Riding-img_2521.jpg  
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast